cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

locIfDesc and Nexus 7000

Sean Gilkes
Level 1
Level 1

On Nexus 7000 devices reads and writes to the locIfDesc results in failures.  locIfDesc MIB (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.28) and any attempts to read or write to it results in errors (“Requested table is empty or does not exist” on SNMP read requests, and “notWritable(17) error-status at error-index 1” on SNMP write requests).  Does anyone know what the right MIB should be..?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

locIfDescr is deprecated in IOS and not implemented at all on NX-OS.  You should stop using it altogether.  Instead, use ifAlias.

View solution in original post

It appears the only setable object in the IF-MIB is ifAdminStatus (for NX-OS).  Ive confirmed up to 5.1.4, but from what I'm reading, it does not appear to be implemented yet in any version of NX-OS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

locIfDescr is deprecated in IOS and not implemented at all on NX-OS.  You should stop using it altogether.  Instead, use ifAlias.

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for your input, but I'm still having issues: I can read the MIB variables from the switch now, but if I try to change this information using an SNMP set I get the error: notWritable (17) - see attached.  Can you see anything wrong with my SNMP OID setup..?

Cheers,

SRGi

It appears the only setable object in the IF-MIB is ifAdminStatus (for NX-OS).  Ive confirmed up to 5.1.4, but from what I'm reading, it does not appear to be implemented yet in any version of NX-OS.

Hello Joseph,

Not exactly the answer I was looking for, but it has allowed me to pursue other options... ;o)  In any case, I thank you for your timely responses...

Best Regards,

SRGi