cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Log Space usage is high

akash04lingam
Level 1
Level 1

Log Space Usage on the Common Services page, I have four  logs that are way outside the recommended size.

syslog.log @ 7717120 KN (Recommended size: 1048576 KB)
jrm.log @ 4243431 KB (Recommended size: 1024 KB)

dmgdbg.log @ 37759 KB (Recommended size: 1024 KB)

NameServiceMonitor.log @ 11859 KB (Recommended size: 1024 KB)

Should I be routinely looking at the physical log files for problems?  Does the size of these logs indicate a potential problem?  What can I due to ensure that these logs remain inside the recommended threshold?

1 Reply 1

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This "recommended" size is not an official recommendation, nor does it mean there is a problem if the logs surpass it.  All of these files are actually pretty small, biggest one is just over 7MB and this is the syslog.log which is expected to grow a lot depending on the amount of syslogs your devices are sending to LMS.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about here.  You can either just ignore the "recommended" size or modify it to higher values using the CSCOpx\conf\logstat.conf.  In newer LMS versions you will find the logrotation utility under CS > Server > Admin > Log Rotation.  You can configure log files to rotate here if they are occupying too much of your hard drive.