cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

logging ip dhcp binding

shjelmstad
Level 1
Level 1

I've got routers with individual dhcp pools and I need to log the mac-to-dhcp address bindings. I've been experimenting with logging different severity levels, but have not seen a single instance of dhcp info. Is this possible?

thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

If you are wanting to maintain a list of MAC-IP addresses, you could monitor the ARP cache on the routers. There is a great little utility called CATtools by Kiwi Enterprises that will retrieve the ARP cache(s) on a regular basis and update a master list of pairs with first-seen and last-seen dates. Sorry I can't help with direct logging/trapping from the routers, we use a commercial DHCP server system that has excellent information available at the push of a few buttons.

Dave

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

If you are wanting to maintain a list of MAC-IP addresses, you could monitor the ARP cache on the routers. There is a great little utility called CATtools by Kiwi Enterprises that will retrieve the ARP cache(s) on a regular basis and update a master list of pairs with first-seen and last-seen dates. Sorry I can't help with direct logging/trapping from the routers, we use a commercial DHCP server system that has excellent information available at the push of a few buttons.

Dave

Another method you could use would be the show ip dhcp binding command. That would show the MAC-to-IP table on the individual routers. Hope it helps

Yeah the command works fine. But I need to be able to LOG the info, I suppose I could write an expect script to do this.

The Kiwi tools are pretty cool! Since I'm offering wifi to the public, I need to be able to tell law enforcement some info if requested. I should be able to get what I need using these tools. Thanks for the tip!

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Just been looking for an snmp solution that might be worth a try...

Have a look here,,,

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.380.1.4.1.1

not sure tho' if "not-accessible" means you that you can't retrieve it?

Rgds

PD

hmmm, I'll try poking around and see if I can 'get' the info and put it into a file. thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card