Views
Helpful
Replies

Logs on Cisco Devices

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I'm sure that everyone of us will be seeing 100s of logs on Cisco devices on a dially basis. Does any one have any clue of what the numbers represents correspsndind to each logs?

For example

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN:

%LINK-3-UPDOWN:

%PORT_SECURITY-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION:

%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE:

Above are the output captured from a Cisco switch. Does any one know what those number is RED corresponds to?

Regards

Najaf

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That number corresponds to the severity level of the message. Here is one (of many) IOS references that explains the syntax in some detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swlog.html#wp1030180

In summary the severity levels are as follows:

Level Keyword  Level

emergencies    0

alerts       1

critical       2

errors         3

warnings       4

notifications  5

informational  6

debugging      7

Hi Marvin,

Thanks a lot for your quick responce.

So according to the my logs interface up and down status have a severity level of 5.

That means if i set logging console level 4 on a cisco device i shouldn't be seeing the interface up and down status poping up on the device console...Is that right?

Regards

Najaf

Najaf,

You're welcome. That's correct. "logging console" command is used with one of the severity levels above to limit messages logged to the console. The default level for the console is debug (most verbose).

Please rate helpful posts.

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Apparently even after setting console logging level to 4 I was still able to see login level 5 messages on my console. I wasn't sure what was going on... Have you tried this any time before?

Regards
Najaf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App