cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

lost of enable access on catalyst switch due to "privilege exec level 15 enable" command and priviliege 0 on users

Gilles Guillerm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On a catalyst VSS switch, I can connect with the username toto (privilege 0) but I don't have the enable command available to change the configuration. The configuration file is like :

username toto privilege 0 ....

privilege exec level 15 enable

The problem is that now we have lost the possibility to modify, to see the running config.....

2 ideas to solve it :

1/ Password recovery process, but I'm not sure it will be ok because we have the password, but not the possibility to be enable

2/ Factory reset...but a little dangerous.

Does anybody know another way more convenient to solve this problem ?

Thanks

Best regards

Gilles

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Do you have any other usernames on the switch? Is your console port also asking authentication? 

If not then go with the password recovery process and you will get access to the switch configuration mode, where add new user or increase privilege to this user.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Do you have any other usernames on the switch? Is your console port also asking authentication? 

If not then go with the password recovery process and you will get access to the switch configuration mode, where add new user or increase privilege to this user.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Captain HoOmi
Level 1
Level 1

are you using local authentication? If yes then I really suggest you consider configuring AAA and setting up Cisco ISE. Then you wouldn't have to deal with separate usernames and passwords on switches.

Do you remember if it was enable or enable secret?  If enable  then a backup of the config can help you as Cisco type 7 password can be easily cracked. If not then password recovery can be the solution:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/22188-pswdrec-2600.html

** Please rate this post or accept the solution if it helped! :) **
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: