Views
Helpful
Replies

Make a 4503 switch load from a TFTP server

luca1974luca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have got the following issue: a 4503 with a working (but old) IOS, the file size is about 18MB; I would like to upgrade it to a newer IOS, let's call the old one: IOS1, and the new one: IOS2. IOS2 size is also around 18MB; and the flash size is about 28MB. So I can't have both files on it at the same time. I am not planning to get any hardware or flash upgrade.

I also don't want to delete the working IOS1 before I test whether IOS2 works fine, because I have already found myself stuck in a situation on this very switch, where a supposed-good IOS-x was actually incompatible with my switch, and I was left with no valid IOS on flash... bear i mind, the file was not corrupted (of IOS-x), so the TFTP transfer worked alright, the 4503 didn't complain of any incompatibility, until I tried to reload it, and boom... it would refuse to use IOS-x.

Now hopefully IOS2 is good for the 4503, however I don't wanna risk; I'd like to boot with IOS2 while it's on my laptop,  using TFTP.

I can't find the valid syntax (commands) for it, can anyone advise me in detail, please?

This is the exact model of my switch:

WS-C4503, Supervisor II+TS

I can give more details on IOS1 and IOS2 if needed, but I would really like to know the steps for TFTP loading if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Luca

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I would recommend you get compact flash for the switch and use that for testing your ios. You can get inexpensive flash just for testing.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Thanks John,

I don't want to invest a penny on this kit because it was recovered from a DC, and now being used to set up a lab, best effort really.

Aside of that, I would really like to know how to make it work, booting from a TFTP server... it's a skill that I would like to get.

Thanks,

Luca