Views
Helpful
Replies

Make a 4503 switch load from a TFTP server

luca1974luca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have got the following issue: a 4503 with a working (but old) IOS, the file size is about 18MB; I would like to upgrade it to a newer IOS, let's call the old one: IOS1, and the new one: IOS2. IOS2 size is also around 18MB; and the flash size is about 28MB. So I can't have both files on it at the same time. I am not planning to get any hardware or flash upgrade.

I also don't want to delete the working IOS1 before I test whether IOS2 works fine, because I have already found myself stuck in a situation on this very switch, where a supposed-good IOS-x was actually incompatible with my switch, and I was left with no valid IOS on flash... bear i mind, the file was not corrupted (of IOS-x), so the TFTP transfer worked alright, the 4503 didn't complain of any incompatibility, until I tried to reload it, and boom... it would refuse to use IOS-x.

Now hopefully IOS2 is good for the 4503, however I don't wanna risk; I'd like to boot with IOS2 while it's on my laptop,  using TFTP.

I can't find the valid syntax (commands) for it, can anyone advise me in detail, please?

This is the exact model of my switch:

WS-C4503, Supervisor II+TS

I can give more details on IOS1 and IOS2 if needed, but I would really like to know the steps for TFTP loading if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Luca

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I would recommend you get compact flash for the switch and use that for testing your ios. You can get inexpensive flash just for testing.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Thanks John,

I don't want to invest a penny on this kit because it was recovered from a DC, and now being used to set up a lab, best effort really.

Aside of that, I would really like to know how to make it work, booting from a TFTP server... it's a skill that I would like to get.

Thanks,

Luca

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: