Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory Usage ASR9010

aridy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have a Cisco ASR 9010 Router, currently with a memory usage of 87% (485.58 MB free / 4096 MB total).

Of course that major part of consumption is caused by BGP.

My question is what exactly causes increase of memory usage? Is my 87% utilization ok? If I add new peers in BGP (like new upstreams that advertise to me all of the Internet routing tables), does that causes an additional increase in my memory?

Thanks in advance,

Aridy

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since we do not have any visibility of output what percentage of memory consumed, is that 80%  only BGP ?

yes BGP can consume more memory to insert the routing tables from provider, you can also cutdown what route you need to have yourself based on the requirement,

check the memory requirement for the full routing tables. hope this is not impacting your performance ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

BGP uses almost 1000MB of memory (on average).

This router is used from an ISP and has 4 Upstream BGP connections and 20 BGP peers in total.

It is not affecting my performance, but I want to know if I add another Upstream will it, at least theoretically, increase and if so in what percentage can it increase?

Thanks,

The question here, do you really need full routing table from all the BGP peers ? can you filter any kind ?

BB

Hello,

Maybe I can filter some traffic from some of my upstream providers, but I think that this belongs to a latter time. For the moment I just wanted to know what percentage of memory has a normal full Internet table approximately and if there is any other way (except manipulating BGP routing tables) to reduce the memory usage.

Thanks,

Look at the requirement : its not only memory, its also require CPU.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/memory-requirement-for-full-bgp-table/td-p/1412424

how to fine tune best below guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/12512-41.html

BB