cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast commands unavailable?

nlogic
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up a multicast on a couple of our C3850 switches, all of my internet searches have lead me to entering the command:

switch(config)# ip multicast-routing

However, it seems like this option isn't available on every switch. Entering the above command will result in an error saying invalid input detected for "multicasting-routing". Entering the help menus hows that this isn't a valid paramater.

The only difference I've seen between the two switches are that I can see is the one with the command is running IOS XE 16.6.2 and the one without is running 03.06.08. I haven't found anything pointing me to one version being able to run multicast while the other can't.

Am I missing some other command that will make multicasting available or do I need to move all the switches to a specific IOS version? Eventually I'll have to bring all the switches to the same version anyway.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

can you post show version.

Finding Feature Information

Your software release may not support all the features documented in this module. For the latest feature information and caveats, see the release notes for your platform and software release.

Prerequisites for Configuring IP Multicast Routing

The following are the prerequisites for configuring IP multicast routing:

To use the IP multicast routing feature on the switch, the switch or active switch must be running the IP Services feature set.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/consolidated_guide/b_consolidated_3850_3se_cg_chapter_0101000.html#topic_046CCC6211D149DBAD2E9D7F22C7306D

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The USB privileges are pretty locked down here so I can get a copy of the whole output.

One switch without the commands is
Switch  Port         Model                     SW Version  /SW Image/                                          Mode/
*            56          WS-C3850-48T    16.3.5b         CAT3k_CAA-UNIVERSALK9                 INSTALL

another is
Switch    /Port        /Model                     /SW Version/         SW Image/                        Mode/
* 1           56          WS-C3850-48T        03.06.06E           cat3k_caa-universalk9        INSTALLL

The one that works has:
Switch    /Port        /Model                     /SW Version/         SW Image/                        Mode/
* 1          56           WS-3850-48T         16.6.2                   cat3k_caa-universalk9       INSTALL