cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAM Real Time Monitoring

jad.sadek
Level 1
Level 1

A client is requesting Real-time monitoring for wan traffic on NAM-2 Module installed on 6509 VSS (As a replacement for his PRTG on which he is implementing IP and Port based filtering). Is there a way I can create Real-time monitoring output based on [Source Network, Destination Network, Port...] filters. The best I got to do is to get real time data of source and destination hosts or else of a specific application (On Monitoring>Conversation Data & Applications)

Any helpful suggestion is really appreciated.

6 Replies 6

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

How about NetQoS?

You mean Diffserv marking???

Can you please provide more details.

Enable NetFlow on your devices and use NetFlow collector to collect NetFlow date.

NetQoS is the best product out there for this kind of work. It will do exactly what you described.

I don't want to replace the PRTG with another software. I wan the NAM to provide the real-time monitoring. There is a feature in NAM of real-time monitoring based on Diffserv marking. So I was thinking of marking the different wan traffic and then I would be able to real-time monitor it.

I never use NAM so I can not comment on this but we use NetQoS in conjunction with NMIS, a freeware tool, to monitor the network. NMIS uses SNMP to collect data CPU/memory/bandwidth/harddisk/packet errors/etc... every five minutes while NetQoS collects NetFlow data and tell you everything you need regarding application traffics, flow analysis, and much more. Basically, I can pinpoint very accurately the conversation between two hosts on Oracle sqlnet traffics between, let say, 10:00am and 11:30am and tell you how much traffics between them.

bsoth
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for the same thing. I keep hearing Netflow but will it actually graph out bandwidth statistics real time by itself?  If you have something like Orion NTA (Super expensive) then it will pretty much do it. But Im hoping someone comes along to tell us about a simple, (freeware) tool that can simply graph wan BW in real time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: