Replies

ncs 1.0 to PI 2.1

taufan prakasa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've plan to upgrade my cisco ncs 1.0 which is running on ncs-apl-k9 to PI 2.1

The output of show inventory cli command shows like below

I need an advice, Is it ok to upgrade to PI 2.1 with spec like shown up below?

Thanks and regards

Taufan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade on that platform although it a painful task and will require several intermediate steps. At some point it is better to just start from scratch on a new VM.

There will be a new hardware appliance introduced in the next couple of months based on UCS C-series vs. the old NCS appliance based on an IBM OEM server. As you move forward to the current PI 2.2 or later, it would be recommended to move onto the more capable hardware.

How many devices are you managing? 

View solution in original post

OK, 100 device deployment should be fine on the old hardware.

Make sure you read the intermediate upgrade steps carefully and I'd have on hand all of the images and patches on your laptop to move them onto the hardware locally.

I'd go all the way to 2.2 - you can jump to that from 1.4. It will be a re-image of the hardware OS and application after having backed up the configuration.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade on that platform although it a painful task and will require several intermediate steps. At some point it is better to just start from scratch on a new VM.

There will be a new hardware appliance introduced in the next couple of months based on UCS C-series vs. the old NCS appliance based on an IBM OEM server. As you move forward to the current PI 2.2 or later, it would be recommended to move onto the more capable hardware.

How many devices are you managing? 

Thanks for the advice Marv, actually this is my customer's stuff, they have about 100 devices to be managed

Yes, i've read some sheet that told there are a couple step to do to upgrade from 1.0 to 2.1

Just wanna make sure that this upgrade can be happen on this physical thing because the place is a remote site and need 12hours to go there on road, no flight go there

OK, 100 device deployment should be fine on the old hardware.

Make sure you read the intermediate upgrade steps carefully and I'd have on hand all of the images and patches on your laptop to move them onto the hardware locally.

I'd go all the way to 2.2 - you can jump to that from 1.4. It will be a re-image of the hardware OS and application after having backed up the configuration.

Hi Marv,

i'm upgrading prime ncs 1.0.1.4 to 1.1.1.24 as the first step to go to PI 2.1,

but i've faced an error state that pre-install step failed

what is the error exactly means? and how to solve that?

thanks for your help

regards

I'd recommend opening a TAC case. They can look at your specific error message and logs and suggest a remedy based on a detailed analysis of your specific issue.

Hi Marv,

thanks for your suggestion

good news is i've done upgrading ncs 1.0 to PI 2.1 successfully, something odd about pre-install step failure that the system said HA configuration hasn't disabled yet so it won't continue the process, but in fact we have no HA, I saw on ncs web gui the system have a HA peering with its IP itself, kinda wierd, right?

so i just remove the HA and reload the system and upgrade continued

regards