Views
Helpful
Replies

NCS - Supported WLC?

Carl Harbeck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Has anyone had an issue adding a 4402 to their NCS? It is listed under the supported devices, however my NCS install always seems to throw it in the Unknown devices stating that it is an Unsupported device.

17 Replies 17

Carl Harbeck
Level 1
Level 1

bump?

friskd
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning Carl,

I was (still am) beating my head against the wall on this.  I gave up after hour on it yesterday, and am going to call TAC today.  As you say, they are suposed to be supported, and in fact they are---we just can't add them?

We have 4 4402's and 1 5508 that were migrated over from WCS to NCS.  All 5 came in beautiful, and I've been managing all through NCS for a few weeks now.  We had a 4402 die and Cisco processed an RMA for us, but I can't get this new one setup in NCS.  As soon as I changed credentials in NCS for the controller (the password on the controller chaged with my new config), NCS moved it to Unknown Devices.  I removed the controller from NCS, assuming that it was confused, and tried readding it.  I'm now seeing the exact same issue as you.

I'll update with what TAC says if they're able to figure it out.

Dave

Hey there,

We actually had SNMP (all flavors) disabled on that particular 4402 (slaps forehead).

Up and working now.

Bummer, so I'm alone in this again!    We have SNMP enabled on the device, and I get different results in NCS when I match strings or intentionally break them (for both v2c and v3), so something else must be at play here since and SNMP change affects the NCS results.

Back to looking.   Glad you got yours working!

Thanks,

Dave

Just speculation, but it sounds as if manufacturing might have tweaked the device's Object ID with a later hardware release.

David - You should be able to verify with an snmpwalk against the working and non-working 4402's.

That's an interesting thought.  I would think that NCS should be able to handle the differences in Object ID for the different hardware releases, but it's certianlly worth a shot--and will verify for me that SNMP is indeed setup correctly on the controller.

Thanks,

Dave

Vincent Fortrat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the same issue trying to add a WLC4402 into NCS. Versions are :

NCS : 1.1.0.58

WLC : 6.0.199.4 & 7.0.235.0 (both not working)

Each time, I get the error message in NCS : Snmp Credential Check Failed. Failed to perform the SNMP get

Did you resolve this problem ?

Vincent

Vincent,  Yes TAC was able to find a resolution for us, although it sounds like a different issue than yours; I'd suggest checking the community string, read/write permissions  as well as what SNMP version you're using in both locations:

anyways, here's TACs email to me that fixed our issue.

Reviewing the analysis from the DE's and the data from the
captures, it looks like there was at least one place where there was a
getBulkRequest for 30 objects, for which the response from the WLC was
three fragmented IP packets. That's probably where NCS is erroring out
as it expects the responses to have the same number of objects as the
requests.

Can you go to Administration > Settings > SNMP Settings, and check
"Maximum number of get varbinds per PDU". If it's set to 30 or more,
lower it to something like 20. Then try re-adding the WLC again and see
if it still has problems.

Hello David,

Thanks for your response. Everything's fine with SNMP because it's working good with WCS (I'm trying to migrate from WCS to NCS). I tried what you suggest but it didn't make it better !

Vincent

Hi everyone,

After opening a case on my problem, I had a response from the TAC. It may help you so I post it here :

Problem Description:

------------------------------

• •-     Unable to add WLC to NCS.
  • •-     NCS version 1.1.1.24, and WLC 4402 7.0.235.0.
  • •-     Trying to add the WLC using SNMP version 1, 2c, and 3 is failing.

Kindly don’t hesitate to correct me if I misunderstood the problem.

Action plan:

-----------------

We have faced this issue before when we have the NCS is in the same subnet as one of WLC dynamic interfaces. Please double check that, and if you have it, please try to remove this dynamic interface and test.

Vincent

hi,

Has anyone found solution for this case. I have also NCS version 1.1.1.24, and WLC 4402 7.0.235.0 that won't join to NCS. 4402 works fine with WCS. All other 4404 and 5508 controllers work fine with NCS.

Janne,

Our TAC engineer came back with this:   it worked for us.

Reviewing the analysis from the DE's and the data from the captures, it looks like there was at least one place where there was a getBulkRequest for 30 objects, for which the response from the WLC was three fragmented IP packets. That's probably where NCS is erroring out as it expects the responses to have the same number of objects as the requests.

Can you go to Administration > Settings > SNMP Settings, and check "Maximum number of get varbinds per PDU". If it's set to 30 or more, lower it to something like 20. Then try re-adding the WLC again and see if it still has problems.

Thanks,

Dave

I was having all kind of issues until I read your post.  I moved NCS out of the same network as one of my

dynamic interfaces and it my controller joined with no problem.  thanks!

CCNP - Wireless
CWNE #136

Hi Guys,

Is anyone still having issue here, i had tried all the ways you guys mentioned here but still not able to add my Wism2 7.1.19.0 into NCS 1.1.2.12, really apprecicate anyone can help on this issue. thanks in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: