cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network with 192.168.xxx.xxx and Public IPs

jellegard
Level 1
Level 1

hello all-  can someone please tell me what the proper way to set up a network with 192.168.xxx.xxx clients and 8 clients with public IPs?  i have a CISCO 2960 48 port switch that i will serve the 192.168.xxx.xxx clients with and i have tried to connect the devices with public IPs in various configurations but to no avail.

my think was to connect this way:

COX Modem  ===>>  NETGEAR 8 port switch (plug in all public IP devices to this switch)

NETGEAR switch  ====>>  Apple Airport Extreme (latest version) WAN port

Apple Airport Extreme (LAN Port)  ====>>  CISCO 2960 switch (all 192.168.xxx.xxx clients connected to this device)

doing this the local clients get out just fine but i cannot ping or connect to the devices with public IPs.  when i call COX they can see the public IP devices bridging over but cannot ping or connect to them.  when i switched one of the devices to receive an address via DHCP from COX directly COX representative was able to ping it and connect to it.  in this case it was a Synology NAS.  when the type the public DHCP address in their browser they got the login page to the NAS.  when i switched back to my assigned public IP they could see but not ping or connect again.

i have to be doing something wrong and they would;t help me troubleshoot further.  i would really appreciate if any of you could help me figure this out.  thanks in advance....

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duplicate posts. 

Go HERE.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: