cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Site Build - Need to access data from current site from new site - Data Migration

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

We are building a new site. I am pretty new here and I have only been part of new site standups a couple times. We are brainstorming right now. The plan is to have our network equipment in place, have the circuit turned on, begin to replicate data from current site to new site so services can eventually take over at new site/hub, then completely shut down current site. The theory sounds nice but I am sure I am forgetting or leaving stuff out. Systems can't really be down as remote sites still need to access them. That is the main concern. Anyone have any good pointers? As a NE, how what should be my main focus in terms of making sure both sites are readily accessible so remote sites can still access services at current site, but new site is accessible as well while migration takes place?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you receive ISP´s link in a Firewall you need to worry about the static route to ISP gateway and static NAT, basically. If you receive ISP´s link in a router then only static routing.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi @CiscoPurpleBelt

I think there are too much to consider for a forum post, so that, the answer will be always 'depends'.

I´ve been participating of site migration since ever. It all depends on the site size or company business type. Let´s say, a Call Center would be easier to migrate then a Data Center.  

There are a lot to consider in all spheres. For dynamic routing, if you have an AS for example. Firewall rules, NAT,etc. Database,  Voice ,etc.

Migrate a site even small is a huge task and ask for a lot of jobs. I´ll probably better served here if lets say you new firewall does not behave as it should, or if you BGP is not allowing you Internet access, etc.

I hope you succeed on this endeavor. Best of lock.

Thanks this is excellent info! Let's say there is no Natting being done and no BGP handled by us - internet simply points to ISP and they take it from there. What are some key things I should consider or to have in mind?

If you receive ISP´s link in a Firewall you need to worry about the static route to ISP gateway and static NAT, basically. If you receive ISP´s link in a router then only static routing.

Thanks this is great!