cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus NTP Issue

Ian Beck
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Nexus 5598 with a layer 3 moudule.

I have configured NTP and this is working to the peer source, via a FW.

My problem is, that I have configured Distrubute so that down stream Routers/Switches can source their NTP update from the Nexus Switches.

However when I configure the down stream devices to receive updates from the loopback address the, the association is left in .INIT. state. If I configure to use a VLAN HSRP address the ntp assocaitaion work's, ass follows

address         ref clock       st   when   poll reach  delay  offset   disp

~x.x.x.10     .INIT.          16      -   1024     0  0.000   0.000 15937.          - loopback

~x.x.x.11     .INIT.          16      -   1024     0  0.000   0.000 15937.      - loopback

*~x.x.x.254    x.x.x..227     3    115    128   177  2.136  23.156 66.268    - HSRP

NTP debug on a down stream switch, shows the ntp message being sent with no reply to the loopback, the loopback address is pingable.

Has any one seen this sort of issue ?

Many thanks

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a known issue.  Search this forum for "Nexus NTP" and you'll get alot of hits.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: