Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus NTP to IOS Failure

kyle.ashcraft
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

I am attempting to establish NTP connections between a Nexus node and other IOS devices.  The Nexus is broken into multiple VDC's, one of which is used for "Management" and is currently sync'ed to a true time source.  I'm trying to connect my IOS node to another VDC on the Nexus.  I can get NTP to work between the two nodes if I make the Nexus an NTP master however if I try to add authentication then it fails.  I know the password is correct between the devices but for whatever reason they don't want to authenticate to each other.  Config example provided below.

IOS Device

ntp authentication-key 1 md5 Password

ntp trusted-key 1

ntp server 1.1.1.1 key 1 source vlan10

Nexus 

ntp authenticate 

ntp authentication-key 1 md5 Password

ntp distribute

ntp master 3

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
config looks right , maybe try add ntp authenticate on IOS side too ?
other than that a debug ntp may show something

Appreciate the response, I finally got this to work.  I'm pretty sure I had ntp authenticate on the IOS side and it still didn't work but I tried so many things who knows anymore.  I found another device on the network that was working with another nexus device and attempted to copy the config exactly how it was.  My theory is the keys never matched before which was preventing ntp authentication from working.  I think even thought I typed the same password into both nodes they hashed differently or somehow corrupted the password.  This time I cleared NTP entirely and inputted a known hash value on each side and it's working.  Long story short either removing ntp and adding with known good hashes worked or I forgot the authenticate piece of the IOS side.  Either way it's functioning at the moment so time to move on to the other issues :).  Appreciate the support

Thanks for letting us know the fix kyle