cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

not seeing any debug notifications or even any system notifications

sudonym3
Level 1
Level 1

I am using CML 2 to simulate some lab topologies. 

While using it, I have now noticed that I am not receiving any debug notificaitons. In particular, I turned on debugging for all EIGRP packets, and then made some changes to the topology that would definitely trigger eigrp packets to be sent out. However, the router I was monitoring didn't provide any debugging output at all. 

Additionally, even standard notifications such as "interface up/down" type of output seems to not be active either. See an example below of the kind of output I am no longer seeing on the CLI: 

*Nov 19 07:50:50.292: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor 192.168.24.4 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is up: new adjacency
*Nov 19 07:51:44.027: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor 192.168.24.4 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is down: Auth failure
*Nov 19 08:42:12.364: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor 192.168.24.4 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is up: new adjacency

I am not sure if this issue is in some way being caused by the fact that this is being run on CML 2. Or otherwise, it is quite possible that I have simply not got the correct router config settings in order to see either debug or standard notification messages on my CLI. 

Note that I believe that on CML 2, you are connected to the CLI via line con 0. 

I also note that I am not very familiar with debugging and notification commands, and so it is quite possible that I am simply overlooking something very basic. 

I welcome all thoughts and advice on the above. 

Many thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

oh never mind, I think I have figured it out now! I think I just had to tell it to output debugging info with the below command: 

router4(config)#logging console debugging

So all looks to be good now. Thanks again for your help. 

I also note that the below old forum thread looks relevant as well: 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/i-can-t-see-any-debug-output-please-help/td-p/2021522

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

what is the output of:

show logging

?

To start out, configure the below:

Router#terminal monitor

Router(config)#logging console informational

Hi Georg, many thanks for your reply. 

Having input the command that you suggested: 

Router(config)#logging console informational

I am now getting notification commands. So that part of the issue seems to be resolved. 

I note though that it won't let me input the other command: 

Router#terminal monitor

In particular, when i try to input that command, it gives me output as below: 

router3#terminal monitor
% Console already monitors
router3#

But presumably this "terminal monitor" command is superfluous/unnecessary after I input the "logging console informational" command anyway, so that isn't an issue. 

The last point though is that I am still not getting debug output on the console. See the below output from one of my routers on the topology (router4). The output shows that I turned on debugging for all eigrp packets. And you can also see that it shows a notification when I activated an eigrp instance on its neighbouring router (router3). But although you can see that a notication on the router comes up saying that a new eigrp adjacency has been established, it doesn't give me any debugging output at all for eigrp packets: 

router4#debug eigrp packets all
(UPDATE, REQUEST, QUERY, REPLY, HELLO, UNKNOWN, PROBE, ACK, STUB, SIAQUERY, SIAREPLY)
EIGRP Packet debugging is on
router4#
*Nov 19 09:09:51.063: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor 192.168.34.3 (GigabitEthernet0/1) is up: new adjacency
router4#

router4#
router4#
router4#
router4#
router4#
router4#
router4#
router4#
router4#

I would have thought that when I turn debugging on for all eigrp packets, I should be seeing output for all eigrp packets that router4 is both sending and receiving. And given that eigrp is currently set to send hello packets out every active eigrp interface every 5 seconds, I believe I should be seeing a whole lot of debug output. So it's definitely disappointing that I am currently not seeing any debugging output at all!! 

Can you suggest any other commands that will allow me to see the debugging output? (Note that I am using eigrp as an example above, but as far as I can tell, I am not getting any debugging output, regardless of the protocol that I am looking at). 

Many thanks 

oh never mind, I think I have figured it out now! I think I just had to tell it to output debugging info with the below command: 

router4(config)#logging console debugging

So all looks to be good now. Thanks again for your help. 

I also note that the below old forum thread looks relevant as well: 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/i-can-t-see-any-debug-output-please-help/td-p/2021522

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: