cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP DNS Lookup - IP Remains Static

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working on implementing NTP in my WAN.  The command I'm using is "NTP Server hostname".  This works just fine until I edit the DNS record.  The router will still look at the IP it resolved when I added the NTP Server hostname line.

Thanks,

Ed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ed

That is the way that the current implementation works. IOS will allow you to specify a name to identify the NTP server. But IOS resolves the name and then uses, and continues to use, that IP. It is not in the current implementation to maintain the name and to do a dynamic lookup at time of use (which I believe is what you would want it to do).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ed

That is the way that the current implementation works. IOS will allow you to specify a name to identify the NTP server. But IOS resolves the name and then uses, and continues to use, that IP. It is not in the current implementation to maintain the name and to do a dynamic lookup at time of use (which I believe is what you would want it to do).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I was afraid that was the case.  Thanks for confirming it!

Thanks,

Ed

Ed

I am glad that my answer was helpful, even if it was not what you wanted to hear. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that a correct answer was supplied. Your marking has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

No sweat. I always try to give credit where it's due :).

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App