Views
Helpful
Replies

Obtaining licenses for EEM On a CIsco 1921

avnishvyas1976
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

Im currently on a project where we have deployed over 30 cisco 1921 routers to branch offices to provide broadband internet connectivity. The problem we ran into was our ISP had a major nationwide outage which affected all of the branch offices. Their solution to the problem was to reboot the 1921 so the PPP authentication would resync and establish a connection. As simple as it may sound but most of the equipment is in restricted access areas and gaining access is not always granted. So to overcome this issue of getting a physical reload of the 1921 we would like to use EEM feature to reboot after a period of unsuccessful pings of the WAN interface. or Alternatively shut/unshut the ATM interface 0/0/0 which will then reauthenticate the PPP and assign an IP address to the dialer1 interface.

The version of code im using on the 1921 is C1900-universalK90M version 15.4 (1) T1 Release Software (TC2)

How to obtain the EEM feature, I was told you need to obtain a license? Is this correct? If so can someone guide me on how to obtain this license for the EEM feature.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How to obtain the EEM feature, I was told you need to obtain a license? Is this correct? If so can someone guide me on how to obtain this license for the EEM feature.

On a router, EEM is enabled by default and there's no limitation nor restriction.  

What the EEM can/can't do will depend entirely upon your IOS.  

PS:  The IOS you've posted is a "T" train.  You may want to consider using the more stable "M" train.

Hi Leo Laohoo

Thanks for replying back to my post. Im not sure I understand your comment on the version of IOS im currently running. I may have entered a typo.

The IOS is as follows C1900-UniversalK-9-M Version 15.4 (1) T1 release software (FC2)

This was the only suitable IOS I could use which allowed the need for SSH etc.. Can you advise further please.

Hi Leo

I think I'm heading in the wrong direction with this query, The license I'm interested is in is regards to the IP SLA capability. How do you obtain the data license that would allow us to enable to IP SLA on our branch routers.

To get IP SLA on the 1921 or any ISR-G2 router you need to purchase the Data or UC (voice) license from Cisco. I would think it's possible to write a TCL or EEM script to create and monitor a ping result. Don't think IP-SLA will reload a router or shut/no shut an interface. You will need some kind of script.

Licensing, http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/software-activation-on-integrated-services-routers-isr/white_paper_c11_556985.html

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: