Views
Helpful
Replies

Openflow + SDN

Firuz Azimov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.

I want to configure openflow and SDN technology. For the first time I want to test it on cisco7613.

But I dont't know from what begin. Can you give some advice. I didnt find any examples from Internet.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 7600 series does not yet support OpenFlow.  We're still in a pre-release stage for OpenFlow on our devices.  What use case do you have with wanting OF on the 7600?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 7600 series does not yet support OpenFlow.  We're still in a pre-release stage for OpenFlow on our devices.  What use case do you have with wanting OF on the 7600?

I want deploy OpenFlow and SDN on 7600, because some our clients want to configure QoS Polices I cant give whole access to 7600 for this reason I want to divide Control Plane. How can I achive my goal?

How I can see for which devices OF is already deployed ?

Thanks for response

It's not generally available for any platforms yet, though the Nexus 3K, Cat3K, 6500, and ASR9K are in the pipeline.  Even with OpenFlow, you'd have to do a lot of heavy lifting to truly grant your customer what they want.  What you could do is build a custom UI that allows them to graphically choose from a list of policy elements and interfaces allowed by you.  Then use CLI to apply them.  When OF is available, you can use the same UI, but replace the CLI calls with REST API calls to the controller (or whatever API is available for your controller).

Can you explain build custom UI?

I want test it with CLI access to router, while OF in pre-release for 7600

I never hear about this configuration as you alreadu know I am beginner in this field

Thanks

What I mean is build a custom tool with, for example, a web frontend.  Your customer logs into the web frontend, and you present them a list of options that you approve for configuring QoS.  They choose what they want, then on the backend, you have a script/application that logs into the router and makes the changes.  What I describe is not trivial, but if done right, it would give you some flexibility if you want to pursue OF or an API approach like our onePK in the future.

Sorry. I understand what I have to do.

But I dont know how to do it. Can you send me some Internet resources to read more about web frontend.

Or put me on right way and how to start your suggestion.

That's a huge question.  There is not one right answer.  There are slew of programming languages and application environments that you can use for this.  It really depends on what you're comfortable with or what your requirements are.

Instead of chasing an OpenFlow solution (not quite ready for prime on most if not all Cisco platforms) why not just setup the well-known and more widely supported IOS privilege levels?

Here are some useful llinks for that:

IOS Configuration Guide section

PacketU blog post

Ciscozine blog post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: