Views
Helpful
Replies

PI 2.2 DB size growing rapidly

lbushman1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I looked at my PI server logs today and found out that it wasn't doing its weekly backup job.  Upon further research, I realized that it was due to lack of space on the appliance.  For the last year, backups have consistently ranged from between 6-8GB. I manually attempted a backup of the application from CLI only to find that the server couldn't do the backup because it was going to need 116GB for the backup!  We have fairly recently upgraded the device from 2.1  to 2.1, and when I did a manual backup then, the DB was less than 10GB.  We also upgraded our MSE from 7.x to 8.0.110.0, and when I backed it up by itself today, it was less than 3GB, so I'm guessing it's not due to the MSE upgrade.  Lastly, I ran a DB cleanup to see if it made a difference.  It didn't.  

There's only about 150 network devices being monitored by the system, and the number of clients on the network hasn't changed much in the last few months, so I'm not sure why this is happening.  

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

6 Replies 6

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds very similar to bug CSCug68047, however it doesn't reference your version.

Prime DB backups are way too large.

it does state there are no known fixed releases.

I ended up determining that even though the database backup stated it needed almost 120GB, the backup was only about 9GB.  I had to add additional disk space... It didn't have enough to create the 9GB backup.  Added 200GB disk and the problem disappeared. 

Thank you for the update.

Certainly!  Nothing sucks worse than scouring the forums for something, finding someone with the same problem as you, and then not seeing a solution weeks later!  :)  Thanks for the assistance!

did you checked the /opt/CSCOlumous/carsh directory , see if there is anything in it , if yes safely delete it..

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Possibly PI calculates the sum of the DB files and checks if there is enough space on the external repository. If there is enough space it copies the files then compress (that's why it required 120GB then the actual backup was only 9GB) them. But it needs the space temporarily.

This theory is based on our LMS experience but probably PI operates backup processes the same manner.

Hope that helped.

Regards,

Gabor