cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PI 3.2 Collection Failure after replacing router (4451-ISR)

SnakeMind
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

At this moment, I have issues with monitoring a router that had been replaced.
I tried removing and re-adding it, but every time I try to sync the device I get a Collection Failure.

The device is a 4451-ISR router, running XE 03.16.06.S and IOS 15.5(3)S6.

Before the replacement, it was alive in PI based on XE 03.11.00.S with IOS 15.4(1)S.

Since this version would not support the newer protocol packs and such, we wanted to replace the device so we could use AVC to full effect.

However, we are not able to do so since it is not able to sync now.

Credentials, based on a credential profile, are succesfully verifying, adjusting the snmp and ssh timeout values did not provide a solution, and reconnecting to the router from the shell on PI did update the ssh key in use, but still did not provide a solution too.

I was not able to find a result on the forums yet, hence this post, hoping to get some feedback before opening a TAC case.

Thanks for any feedback in advance,

Maurice

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- When going to the device list you can go to the 'Last inventory Collection' row for your particular device ; does hoovering over the 'i' icon give more info about the collection failure ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately not, it is the same helpful message as always;

Collection Status Details 

Collection Status: An unexpected error has occurred:
# Check the device is in supported device list in deployment guide.
# Check there is connectivity between the device and Prime Infrastructure
# Check the device credentials provided are valid
# Finally if the problem still persists then contact Cisco System's technical assistance center

Since I know the device is supported since all other 4451's are working, prime can connect thanks to the test from the box itself, de credentials being correct so only a TAC case is the next step. Which is why I wanted to go through here first :)

SnakeMind
Level 1
Level 1

A little more insight on this matter, I have upgraded another 4451 to the new XE/IOS, reloaded the device and nothing seems wrong, PI list the device with the correct software and AVC is showing correctly, with the obvious advisory to upgrade the visibility profiles.

So, only the router of which the hardware was replaced, is failing in prime.

I had tried to remove the router, ncs stop / ncs cleanup / ncs start and readding, but still no success.

Can it be that the device is not properly removed?

Could there something on the device set by PI which would cause conflicts?

- Is the problem router running the same XE/IOS as the new one, if not you may consider upgrading this one as well, w.r.t these issues you also need to look into, compatibility issues with prime, versus device and the os it is currently running ; check these parameters following the link below (to begin with...) :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/products-device-support-tables-list.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

This compatibility issue was what I was trying to determine when upgrading a second router, so yes, the problem router is running the same IOS/XE version, same CPLD platform firmware and everything.

At this moment I have all routers at the same OS level, and only the one router which was replaced with another device is presenting the issues. 

I have a feeling that Prime is not accepting the same name/address and configuration for a device with a different serial number, but this should not be a real issue since you'll need to be able to replace devices when running into hardware issues?

- If you are talking about a device swap ; it is probably advisable to remove the former device from prime firtst; then make the swap and the re-enter the new device (albeit with the same parameters)

M.

Yeah, that would be common practice (I hope)

However, in this case that didn't help which was why I was previously stating, could it be prime left some config behind? Is there a way to really clean up?

- That would imply going into the database, which is beyond my knowledge  area, I must admit

M.

Brett
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried to do a SNMP walk from Prime's CLI to see if it can pull information from the device?  Also, even though it is showing a collection failure can you pull a config archive from the device in Prime?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: