cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PI 3.2 "Enable Granular Inventory" option in System Settings

Ric Hernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what the Enable Granular Inventory option does under the System Settings/Inventory section?  I can't find any documentation that explains what that feature actually does.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Doesn't hoovering over the '?' icon give more info (or pressing on it) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

It just says "This preference is to specify whether to enable granular inventory or not."

- Cute, guess that's another way of providing useful user info  :-) ;  but seriously I don't have more info on it.

M

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks.  I opened up a ticket with them on why PI is accessing my devices every 5 minutes even though I disabled all monitoring including the automatic monitoring.

Ric Hernandez
Level 1
Level 1

This is the answer a Cisco TAC Engineer provided.

Granular Inventory is a feature that was originally introduced on EPNM and then inherited into Prime, its main function is to keep an eye on SNMP traps and SYSLOGS received by the devices that are managed. According to the information received, Prime will decide which information is relevant to the event and will only poll information related to that event. For example, if an interface goes down or up and Prime receives the corresponding SNMP trap and/or SYSLOG for this event, Prime will start polling the device in search for new information for that specific interface in order to update its internal information, instead of waiting for the next inventory collection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: