cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E Licensing

wrwiii122
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get a understanding of the PIX licensing. Is the license software based? I have a PIX that is old and flaky and we are going to replace it. Can we take that license and put it in a new PIX if we buy a restricted box because it is cheaper? If so how do you get the license info from an existing box?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

William

There is a license key and I believe that it is specific to the box. So if you get a replacement box and try to input the license key from the old box I do not think that it will work. You need to order the replacement box with the type of license that you really need.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So I guess when you order it you have to send Cisco, or whoever you buy it from, some code from the box and then they send you a key? I would really like to get a handle on how this licensing system really works. The Microsoft licensing is public info for the most part but I can find anything on Cisco stuff.

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

PIX Licensing info is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a00800b0d85.html

Regarding your question, you can't transfer any pix licenses because the pix hardware serial number is part of the license so it simply won't work.

When you purchase a pix it always comes with a base license which can always be upgraded later if you need additional features, but the new features will always be tied to a particular box.

HTH

Andrew.