cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

POLL: LMS on VMWare

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a poll to see what customers want in terms of CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution running within VMWare. That is, what host OS do people require? What version(s) of VMWare do we need to support? What points should we consider to make deployment successful?

9 Replies 9

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I have 3 customer running CiscoWorks on VMware.

They have never spoke to me about the questions you raise here. 2 of them keep the VMware more or less up to date with the releases as they come out.

I think they don't want the VM to care about the host OS. Nor do I, in fact It would bother me if it did.

An unattended install as was recently mentioned would help. An install via VNC or via the VMware console is not an interesting experience. In general the more cisco achieves to separate in ciscoworks the data from the configuration the better it becomes.

Cheers,

Michel

What OS do they run to host their virtual machines (e.g. Windows, Linux, etc.)? What version of VMWare are they using (e.g. Server ESX, Workstation, etc.)?

All had ESX server. I haven't had access to anything else then the VM in which I installed Ciscoworks but one sysadmin tolled me it ran on top of ubuntu and the other customers mentioned windows 2003 R3. (same OS as the VM for ciscoworks)

w.kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

We are running VMWare ESX version 3.01 in production, other features which are independant of the Operating System and applications in a guest session are High Availability (HA), VMotion, and Dynamic Resource Scheduling (DRS).

Currently Cisco Works is running in Windows 2003 32bit SP1 but SP2 support is necessary.

Shortly I expect we will see Windows 2003 64bit SP1 as a required platform so future support a 64bit platform is desirable also.

wes_ward
Level 1
Level 1

I run CiscoWorks on VMWare ESX on Windows 2003 Server. It works well especially after they assigned the VM 2gig RAM for CiscoWorks. It was slow with 1gig of RAM because it uses more than that when it is running. The server people used PlateSpin to migrate it from a physical server to VMWare.

muttman15
Level 1
Level 1

We have LMS 2.6 running in Dev on a Windows 2003 Server in VMWare. Although the sample network size is small the performance is poor due to limited RAM availiability.

We are planning a larger scale deployment of LMS 2.6 to a client running ESX 3.0. The CW client OS will be W2k3 Server and a large amount of RAM and CPU will be dedicated to this box. Not too certain of requirements on the VMWare side as the client will handle all of that.

However we are also deploying VM instance of HP NNM with the database residing on a SAN. As mentioned by someone else previously there seems to be a movement towards separating the head-end of a software app and the database. The more CiscoWorks could move towards this the more happy the DB guys will be I guess.

a.olsthoorn
Level 1
Level 1

I implemented CW at 36 customer sites which uses windows 2003 SP1 as OS platform (they need SP2 support!!). 5 sites want to migrate to a virtual environment, one already succesfully runs om VMware ESX server. I need to poll the rest of the customers to have a more exact overview, I will keep you posted about my poll. As said earlier in this post, the separation of data and application is requested a lot and also the need of high-availability. The combination of VMware and data/appl separation is a big step in the right direction.

ahajivandi
Level 1
Level 1

We are considering to use Citrix Xen software for the virtualisation. But CW LMS is not yet ready for Xen, I suppose.

No. We ended up supporting VMWare ESX 3.0 only with our LMS 3.0.1 update. No other VM solutions are currently supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco