cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power supply logs identification

rakuten02
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, there are power supply failure logs in my Cisco switch.

%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_ACCESS: FRU Power Supply is not responding
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is faulty
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_OK: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is restored

I assumed it would be the power supply on the right as the logs indicated "power supply 1".

show inventory shows this:

NAME: "Power Supply 0", DESCR: "FRU Power Supply"
PID: C3KX-PWR-350WAC , VID: V02 , SN: xxx
NAME: "Power Supply 1", DESCR: "FRU Power Supply"
PID: C3KX-PWR-350WAC , VID: V03 , SN: xxx

show env power:

SW PID Serial# Status Sys Pwr PoE Pwr Watts
-- ------------------ ---------- --------------- ------- ------- -----
1A C3KX-PWR-350WAC xxx OK Good Good 350/0
1B C3KX-PWR-350WAC xxx OK Good Good 350/0

However, when I swapped the power supply on the right with a new one, the logs showed the following:

%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 2 is faulty
%PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply 2 removed
%PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply 2 inserted
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 2 is faulty
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_OK: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 2 is restored

I am confused, why does the log show "power supply 2?"

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@rakuten02 wrote:
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_ACCESS: FRU Power Supply is not responding
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is faulty

Power feed to the PS has "stopped".  

Potentially, the PS has "failed". 

@rakuten02 wrote:
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_OK: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is restored

Power feed to the PS has been restored.

Yes, power supply self-recovered, but the identification of whether power supply 1 is the left or right power supply is the issue. It seems to not match show inventory naming too.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Because the messages refer to the second power supply , anyway have a look at the back on the switch and verify the power supplies physically by looking at the green status led(s)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Just to clarify, power supply 1 refers to the first (leftmost) power supply, and power supply 2 refers to the second (rightmost) power supply?

Strangely, show inventory labels it as power supply 0 and power supply 1.

The power supply recovered, hence the LED is green. But we are asked to replace the power supply as a precautionary measure.

>....But we are asked to replace the power supply as a precautionary measure.

- If you have 2 green, then pull cord of one and the other but obviously not together, then check logs and identify which is being reported as '2'.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

confusing indeed. You have power supply 0, 1, and 2...doesn't make sense. What platform is this (switch model) ?

it is a 3560 switch.

Hello,

just to make sure this is not a bug, I did a search and found the below:

3560: FRU Power Supply is not responding
CSCti04772

Symptom:
Suddenly, the following messages are shown.

Mar 27 00:31:35.978 JST: %PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_ACCESS: FRU Power Supply is not responding
Mar 27 00:31:38.998 JST: %PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply inserted

Condition:
WS-C3560E-12D with two C3K-PWR-300WAC as redundant.

Workaround:
There is no workaround.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: