Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Prime 1.2 Licensing with High Availability

We have a customer looking to deploy Prime in High Availability mode.  The Ordering and Licensing guide does not clearly state whether HA is included in the single Base license, or whether the customer needs to buy a Base license for the Primary instance (active server), and a second Base license for the Seconday instance (failover server).  Any feedback, suggestion or links you can provide would be greatly appreciated!                       

2 REPLIES 2
Rising star

High Availability is not the same thing for everybody. For some, the unavailability of the system for 15 to 20 minutes is just fine. Make sure your customer understands what is for real, and what is marketing.

I don't know any details on the NCS part regarding the redundancy but for the LMS part I know it was not designed with redundancy in mind.

There are various forms of redundancy for any virtual machine that allow for example an ESX host to start again on another 'failover' ESX host, to protect you again hardware failure of the ESX host . This will not protect you against data corruption on the VM however.

Another solution with 'veritas cluster' requires an additional veritas license. This software will keep a second system 'in sync' with the first system and ready to start in X(how  long does it take before LMS is fully operational?) minutes. This will not protect you against data corruption either.And, if the primary system is corrupt, so is secondary.

I don't recall the actual pricing but a second LMS license was cheaper. A second system means double polling load on your devices, where the various applications already poll the same mib multiple times.

Personally I feel the major weakness of LMS is that fact that if anything goes wrong on the data level, you will have to remove - re-add devices, initialize a database or restore a backup, all causing you to loose history.

Very often this is not really nessecary if LMS had any sanity to ignore and repair any unexpected values from the database. Unfortunately there is none.

You may also wonder what is the actual benefit of all this. What is the actual impact if LMS is not available? What could be the impact if LMS is not available? What if a copy the device configs (shadow directory) was still available on a second server or on a NAS?

Cheers,

Michel

Hall of Fame Community Legend

We have a customer looking to deploy Prime in High Availability mode

I strongly recommend you HOLD your recommendation in regards to Cisco Prime Infrastructure (CPI) 1.2.  CPI 2.0 is coming in January 2013 and I strongly recommend you engage your Cisco Wireless Sales Engineer.

If they give you a blank look, post back and I'll give you a few trick questions to ask them.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards