cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 1.3 Switch Stack and Power Alarms

brandon.case
Level 1
Level 1

We're in the process of migrating to Prime 1.3 for managing all of our wireless controllers. Since we have the functionality now, we're adding most of our switches into Prime as well. One of the "feature requests" my group has given is to be notified when switch stack members go down (our campus LAN is mostly 3750EP stacks) or when a power supply fails and a switch cuts over to RPS.

I've gone over the alarms in the Switch category under "Severity Configuration" in Prime but none of the available ones seem to correspond to those 2 particular events (and the stack member down is *really* critical for us). Does anyone know if it's possible to see alarms for these events in Prime? We can see the syslog messages regarding the RPS cutover but I've been asked to see if it's possible for that to show up in the list of alarms under "Alarms and Events".

Thanks,

Brandon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From my experience with Prime this far, you have two choices really.

1. Reset a member of the stack during a maintenance window to see if you get the alert

2. Open a ticket with TAC and see if they can confirm it.

I've probably opened over a dozen tickets with TAC concerning PI in the month we've had it in production. Several are still unanswered and unresolved. They don't seem to really know what PI does or doesn't do. If you want a reliable answer for your concern, I'd reset a member of the stack and see if Prime recognizes and acknowledges the trap that will be generated. If it doesn't, I'm not sure there is anything you can do but open an enhancement request :).

HTH.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Do you have SNMP traps pointed to the Prime server for all the stacks?  I would think a stack going down would generate a trap, whether or not Prime will recognize it and howit will categorize it another story.  We had similar questions and ended up having to just "test" it to see if Prime generated a trap and what level trap it was.

You can tell Prime to email you based on Critical, Major, Minor, and Warning (or all if you want) traps under Operate -- Alarms and Events -- Click "Email Notification". 

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

brandon.case
Level 1
Level 1

Yep we have traps and syslogs from all stacks pointed at Prime. It does indeed generate an alarm when a whole stack goes down. What we're looking for though is an alarm when only one member of the stack goes down.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

From my experience with Prime this far, you have two choices really.

1. Reset a member of the stack during a maintenance window to see if you get the alert

2. Open a ticket with TAC and see if they can confirm it.

I've probably opened over a dozen tickets with TAC concerning PI in the month we've had it in production. Several are still unanswered and unresolved. They don't seem to really know what PI does or doesn't do. If you want a reliable answer for your concern, I'd reset a member of the stack and see if Prime recognizes and acknowledges the trap that will be generated. If it doesn't, I'm not sure there is anything you can do but open an enhancement request :).

HTH.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks for the suggestions Chris. I built a test stack with 2 switches and an RPS in my office. Looks like there are definitely traps being sent but Prime doesn't generate any alarms. This is true for the case of a switch being removed from the stack and for the stack switching over to RPS power. Looks like I'll be opening that TAC case!

Sorry you have to do that, good luck on a resolution.  Consider marking Answered rating so this can help other users.

Dear Brandon,

Did you have the solution for this issue?

Regards

The answer is that essentially Prime 1.3 does not support these types of alarms. I have not yet tested this with Prime 2.0 but plan to soon since my test stack is still built and functioning.

Hi All,

I tested this using PI 2.0 with a stack of 3 WS-C3750X-24T-L (15.2(1)E)), no events or alarms seen. I will suggest a feature request asap.

regards

Ad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: