cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 3.4 - AP Maps - APs deleted/disappear off Map after down for several days

Hunter_G
Level 1
Level 1

In our environment, we have Cisco Prime 3.4 and utilize the Wireless Site Maps feature. We have a Site Map setup with several hundred APs placed.

I have had two issues where an AP (1815 or 2802) would randomly get disconnected on the network (PoE/Ethernet issue, unknown, etc) for only 2 or 3 days until a physical reseating of the cable was done to get the AP functional. When the AP was down, we did not see a historical entry in Prime, nor was the AP placed on the Site Map after it came back up.

This issue is not repeatable and only happens maybe once a year out of the blue.

My question is, has anyone had this issue before? Any idea what causes Prime to do this? Does Prime ever remove an AP from the map itself? even after a prolonged period, but 3-4 days in my mind is not long.

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

I’ve never seen this happen in CPI .

only thing I can think off is you’ve reached the limit of APs you are licensed to manage (license oversubscription)

when ap-1 goes down the license is Immediately used by another that did not used a license before. This may explain no alarm is generated?

the AP History will still be present in the database, but as it is not managed it is removed from the map.

Yeah it's weird - no notification in Prime. It was removed from the AP Site Map after a few days offline before a cable reset to bring it back. The AP still had its statically assigned AP, and was in same AP group.

We have over 100+ free RTU adder licenses assigned to the system, so i can't imagine that was the issue.

I've checked Prime's partition and directories to make sure they weren't full, as per some Prime bugs that cause Maps, Database, and other issues in Prime. Couldn't find any indication that our 3.4 Prime was having any issue - it's not overloaded or anything. It's managing over a thousand other APs just fine.