cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime, API, CLI, Compliance Reports

fitzie
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Prime Infrastructure v3.1, and have a series of Compliance jobs we are running against our infrastructure.

One of these jobs runs a series of checks against our layer 2 switches using profiles, policies and rules.  I just ran a job against all of our L2 switches, and it has 100,000 liines in it, most of them failures, which is OK.  

If I use the GUI, I'm able to look at the output of these jobs, and see each and every success or failure.

I can easily, but manually, export these jobs to say a XLS file, and then run a script thay I wrote that breaks down a 20,000 line report into one sentence:

On DATE, X devices were found to pass, Y devices failed, and there 
were Z violations of individual rules.

I would like to track these four variables on a dashboard that show progress over time. We'll likely use Splunk or Tableau for the final dashboard, or I could easily hack something out in say, RRDTool.

Over time, we'd like to see improvement. We's also use the report to target, um, opportunities to re-educate people if/when they make mistakes.

Alternatively, it would be great to see this type of dashboard in Prime, or even APIC-EM, but this high-level view appears to be missing.

The problem isn't generating the data. I can run a job on a schedulein Prime. We're thinking daily, by the way, as Compliance is becoming a really big deal for us. The problem is the machinations we need to go through to get this data out of Prime and delivered to the dashboard.

I'm hoping that there iis some way to get access to the report data via the API, or the CLI, and some means of delivering the exported report body elsewhere for processing.

Where are the reports stored on the Prime hardware?

What format are they in?

Are they accessible via the API?

Are they accessible via the CLI?

Is it possible to transfer the data externally?

Additionally, the GUI interface(Admin, Job Dashboard, Compliance Jobs) includes showing when a job ran in Prime.  However, when the job is exported to a file, the name of the resulting file has the time and date of the export, and not the time and date the job ran.  There does not appear to be any reference to the run date in the exported file either, unless I generate it with a rule.  I'd probably try to use the date of the saved running config, but I view the issue as a bug, one that seems to have a trivial fix.

8 Replies 8

Where are the reports stored on the Prime hardware?

/localdisk/ftp/reports

What format are they in?

csv

Are they accessible via the API?

Yes.

Are they accessible via the CLI?

Yes.

Is it possible to transfer the data externally?

Yes. 

Flavio, I appreciate your response and I really apprecaite that they are all "Yes".

That being said, I don't seem to have /localdisk/ftp/reports in v3.1.  I do have:

Directory of disk:/

20 Aug 11 2017 09:51:32  crash
       4096 Aug 14 2017 05:27:16  defaultRepo/
       4096 Aug 11 2017 15:26:00  ftp/
      16384 Apr 10 2016 23:35:13  lost+found/
       4096 Aug 11 2017 10:19:08  sftp/
       4096 Aug 11 2017 09:49:55  ssh/
       4096 Aug 11 2017 09:49:55  telnet/
      12288 Sep 19 2017 09:50:56  tftp/

The only thing in the ftp directory is something called reportsOnDemand.  Not finding any of the reports I'm looking for, using "dir recursive".

Would be very interested in anything in JSON format, as we're trying to get some very particular data into Splunk.

Hello,

You can get a detailed API  documentation Here

Example of JSON:

https://192.168.115.187/webacs/api/v1/data/ApiHealthRecords/42.json

{
"queryResponse" : {
"@type" : "ApiHealthRecords",
"@responseType" : "getEntity",
"@requestUrl" : "https : \/\/192.168.115.187\/webacs\/api\/v1\/data\/ApiHealthRecords\/42",
"@rootUrl" : "https : \/\/192.168.115.187\/webacs\/api\/v1\/data",
"entity" : {
"@dtoType" : "apiHealthRecordsDTO",
"@type" : "ApiHealthRecords",
"@url" : "https : \/\/192.168.115.187\/webacs\/api\/v1\/data\/ApiHealthRecords\/15",
"apiHealthRecordsDTO" : {
"@displayName" : "String value",
"@id" : "15",
"@uuid" : "String value",
"clientIp" : {
"address" : "192.168.115.243"
},
"method" : "String value",
"path" : "String value",
"query" : "String value",
"requestAcceptHeader" : "String value",
"requestReceivedTime" : 2,
"responseSentTime" : 2,
"responseStatus" : 1,
"responseTime" : 2,
"userAgent" : "String value",
"username" : "String value"
}
}
}
}

Hi,

I´m using 3.1 and I see the following directory:

/localdisk/ftp/reports

Are you root?

Do you have the reports set to export automatically? If so, you should see them under the /localdisk directory. If you don't see them, you might need to configure the reports to run automatically and save to disk.

ade # ls -l
total 48
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 prime gadmin    20 Jul 28 15:27 crash -> /opt/CSCOlumos/crash
drwxrwxrwx. 2 prime gadmin  4096 Sep 27 04:24 defaultRepo
drwxrwxr-x. 3 prime gadmin  4096 Jul 28 15:17 ftp
drwxrw----. 2 prime gadmin 16384 Mar 24  2017 lost+found
drwxrwsr-x+ 3 prime gadmin  4096 Sep 27 14:34 sftp
drwxrwxr-x. 2 prime gadmin  4096 Jul 28 15:26 ssh
drwxrwxr-x. 2 prime gadmin  4096 Jul 28 15:26 telnet
drwxrwxr-x. 3 prime gadmin  4096 Sep 27 15:44 tftp
ade # du -s ftp/reports/*/
200     ftp/reports/CPUUtilization/
600     ftp/reports/Ethernet/
3856    ftp/reports/OTN/
92      ftp/reports/Physical/

Also don't know how to export the jobs automatically.

I was planning on extracting the JSON via, say

https://prime-b.mitre.org/webacs/api/v1/op/compliance/check.json?jobName=CR19111_M3_Compliance Audit Job_2_10_32_513_PM_9_18_2017

Such a query will pull the latest runID for the job.

Also, I seems to know the shell password, but don't have rights to perform a ls -l.

Well, you actually do have rights, but they don't allow you to see anything. :-)

The shell you fall into plops you into root's home directory. So what I do is "cd" which puts me in my home directory. Then you can do your usual administration.

Progress, of a sort:
I did a cd \ and then followed it up with a ls -R command, and looked for reports.
The executed reports in the Job Dashboard don't seem to show up anywhere. I've searched using both report name snippets and by run_IDs.
As a comparison, I can retrieve a json version of a report via something that looks like this:
https:///webacs/api/v1/op/compliance/check.json?jobName=CR19111_M3_Compliance Audit Job_2_10_32_513_PM_9_18_2017
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco