cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 2.0 - Email alert when device is unreachable

Larry Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way for PI to send email alerts when a device becomes unreachable? I know there are alerts when an interface goes down, but I can't find how to get prime to alert me ONLY when a device becomes unreachable.

Does anyone know how to do this? I can't believe such a simple feature would be so difficult to configure...

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PI also generates an event when it finds unreachable device. An event is an occurrence or detection of some condition in or around the network. An event is a distinct incident that occurs at a specific point in time. Examples of events include:

• Port status change
  • Device reset
  • Device becomes unreachable by the management station

You can view the list of events using the Event Browser.

Choose Operate > Alarms & Events , then click Events to access the Events Browser page.

Prime Infrastructure discovers events by automatically polling devices and discovering changes; for example, device unreachable.

For more details on Events, please check here :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-0/user/guide/prime_infra_ug/alarms.html#pgfId-1054357

-Thanks
Vinod
**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

I understand that I can sort through the Alarms & Events section in PI to see when devices have gone unreachable, but I want to know if PI can email notifications when a device becomes unreachable.

I realize that I can go into Alarms & Events - Email Notification and enable certain alarm categories and the severity... For example if I enabled Routers - Critical email notifications I would be emailed whenever a critical event occured on a router. I do not want to be emailed when interfaces go down or up, ONLY when a device becomes unreachable and it doesn't appear PI can do this for me....

Hello,

Did you find out how to do this?

I've wasted so much time trying to configure something so basic.... not impressed with this product. It would have taken less than a minute in PRTG.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: