Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 2.2

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Hi guys,

now trying to get a handle on PI 2.2. Specifically, im interested in the auto provisioning of the routers and switches. Im looking for some assistance in this area as i seem to be missing one part.

essentially this is my understanding

1. Choose or create a template (im using the ones out of the box for now)

2. Create a bootstrap config

3. Apply to the router - using TFTP and also trying the Provisioning tool on my PC

Expecting that it would then upload the configs and register in PI.

I think im seeing where the router is trying to connect to the plug and play gateway  but nothing happens after.

The error im getting is below

*May 21 00:06:06.839: %CNS-3-TRANSPORT: CNS_HTTP_CONNECTION_FAILED:192.168.3.97 -Process= "CNS config initial", ipl= 0, pid= 88
*May 21 00:06:06.839: %CNS-3-TRANSPORT: CNS_HTTP_CONNECTION_FAILED -Process= "CNS config initial", ipl= 0, pid= 88
*May 21 00:06:07.291: CRYPTO_PKI: Can not select private key (Router)

This is just a lab for now so everything is on the same network and switch for that matter.

FYI that it is a Cisco 2911 router.

Apologies in advance if im not providing the correct and accurate information. advise and i will post it accordingly

thanks in advance

10 Replies 10

pvanvuuren
Level 3
Level 3

Hi a.gooding

Have you had look at this document, It explains it quite well:  http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-0/user/guide/Cisco_Plug-n-Play-Solution-Guide.pdf.

Cheers

Hi there

Thats the doc I have been using and yes it does seem really simple.  do you have it working by chance?

I also tried the pnp app on my pc but I am getting an ssl cert reprompt looping after I enter the pin.

Have you run "pnp setup" and bound the certificate to the PnP server?

Is you have the Plug and Play gateway server running? You should see something like the following:

PI/admin# show application status NCS | i Plug
Plug and Play Gateway is running.

Marvin,

the output states that it is running, just confirmed again. Note that i didnt do anything at all to activate PNP and didnt run the setup as per document of 2.x. Reason is that it wasnt taking any of the commands so i assumed that Version 2.2 changed the way PnP was setup.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi

just a note that a quick call to TAC resolved. Issue was that i did not have HTTP Forward (admin>server settings) enabled.

Thanks 

Hello,

I faced the same problem as you. Is it possible to have more information about the solution you found?

thank you

Hi

1. Log into PI and go to administration>system settings>Server Settings and enable HTTP FORWARD....it is disabled by default

Then i create a profile and input the device ID (serial number of the router)

Then i power on the router and paste the bootstrap like below

ip host UNDSL-INFRA <IP OF PI>
cns trusted-server all-agents UNDSL-INFRA
cns trusted-server all-agents <IP OF PI>
cns id Hardware-Serial
cns id Hardware-Serial event
cns id Hardware-Serial image
cns event UNDSL-INFRA keepalive 120 2 reconnect-time 300
cns exec 80
cns image server http://UNDSL-INFRA:80/cns/HttpMsgDispatcher status http://UNDSL-INFRA:80/cns/HttpMsgDispatcher
cns config partial UNDSL-INFRA 80
cns config initial UNDSL-INFRA 80

Once this is done, you should see it come up on the status page.

I have only reached that far. im getting a CLI config failed message now so working on that.

Hope it helps

Hello,

I enabled the option HTTP FORWARD me as you have said. After a system reboot, I still have the same error.

error:

* March 1 00: 09: 00545:% CNS-3-TRANSPORT: CNS_HTTP_CONNECTION_FAILED: [Name DNS PI] -process = "CNS initial config" ipl = 0, pid = 258
* March 1 00: 09: 00545:% CNS-3-TRANSPORT: CNS_HTTP_CONNECTION_FAILED -process = "CNS initial config" ipl = 0, pid = 258

For my self-deployment configuration, I use the TFTP server Prime.
I created a profile with Plug and Play as a bootstrap file, the default file named "Plug and Play Bootstrap" and as a configuration file, a database file to switch C2960.

The bootstrap file is downloaded to the switch but can not retrieve the final configuration.

Hoping to have was clear.

Now a TAC case may get you going much quicker than I can, since im still getting a handle here.

However, I noticed the same thing in some instances and usually this gets it working

1. Go to status page and ensure there isn't any provisioning initiated, if there is delete.

2. Do a no cns config partial and a no cns config initial

3. paste your cns config again

4.  see if you get a success now

If all else fails ive noticed that a wr erase on the gear and a restart helps.

try that an see if it helps any.

Also, try without the bootstrap as TAC did that with mine as well (Go to profiles, bootstrap template and remove the day 0 pnp template then save)

Ive made a good bit of headway with some good assistance from TAC, im doing composite templates now and with a little patience, its working.....PI 2.2 could be a bit easier but im slowly taking a positive spin on some of the features (PnP being a big one)

somebody has more information about? I am having the same issue, I tried what you said and did not work

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: