Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 3.0 - Email Alert Notifcations

Ross Tulloch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've been working on this for a couple days now and can't seem to make head or tail of it. We are trying to set up an email alert when any interface in a group of ports on a particular core switch transfer to or from up/down status.

I've configured the SMTP server settings and test email works great. As far as I can see, the goal would be to create an Alarm Category that Includes the custom list of interfaces.

The Admin Guide doesn't elude to a simple path to setup email notifications on something that should be so simple.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

RT

7 Replies 7

cammaher
Level 1
Level 1

Hi RT,

I feel your pain! We are having exactly the same issues. I find it really frustrating that Cisco promote this product so heavily, but trying to do simple things with it proves to be verging on the impossible.

I am currently trying to setup a meeting with Cisco to sort this out. If I can I will let you know.

Thanks,
Cam

I have posted a question related to email notification customization that could join yours, so I hope someone of Cisco will come here soon to let us know.

lets hope, let me know as well

A couple things to check, as of Prime 3.0.

In addition to confirming your smtp setup and verifying connectivity via the test email function, verify the following:

1. Check the Interface Alarm policy and ensure it is configured and activated.

Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Alarm Policies. Select the Interface Policy, followed by Edit. Select the Alarms to activate, the severity, and Auto Clear duration, if applicable. Click next and select the device groups for which you want to Alarms activated in step 1, to apply to. Click next and select the port groups for which you want to Alarms activated in step 1, to apply to. Click Save & Activate.

2. Check email notification is enabled for the Alarm Categories listed in

Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Alarms and Events / Email Notification

I had a call with Cisco on this one and they resolved it pretty quickly.

The above explanation that itsupport@paylocity.com gave is correct, with a couple of amendments. As a note, nowhere in the documentation, at least everything I've looked at, gives a way of switching selective alerts off, only a way to switch them on.

The way we did it in the end was as such:

1. Created a Port Group with the ports we were interested in, within it. This can be done either through a smart or Automatic function i.e. every port that has TenGigabit within the port name, or you can add the ports in manually.
  2. Created a Port Group with all the ports that we were not interested in, within it.
  3. Went through the process posted previous to this, with two points:
    1. Do not deselect System Default Device Groups and Port Groups.
    2. Ensure you deselect the uninteresting Port Group.
  4. Ensure Email Server details are present and tested successfully.

We also made sure to enable the correct snmp-server trap and host commands on the devices, otherwise we would get no data from the devices whatsoever.

Hope this helps,

R

can you provide your snmp-server config , I have 2 prob one is stated here and other is prime is not generating alerts for some traps like if switch rebooted its not generating any traps , fan not working its not generating any traps so on i am suspecting something with switch config

To add Prime as a SNMP recipient:

snmp-server host <ipaddress> version 2c <wrstring>

To enable all SNMP traps:

snmp-server enable traps

Allows Prime to restart switch if necessary (IOS upgrade etc):

snmp-server system-shutdown

To find out what you can enable just add a ? on the end.

To reduce Switch CPU Utilisation with unimportant ports (configure on individual ports). This allows you to reduce the traffic that is sent to the Prime Server and reduces the work that the switch has to do:

no snmp trap link-status

Hope this helps,

R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: