cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime infrastructure 3.1.4, device pack 6 - Nexus collection failure

Ben Clifton
Level 1
Level 1

We have added a variety of devices to Prime (catalyst, nexus etc), but we're seeing some nexus 5596UP's come up with collection failure, and other 5596UP's have successful collection.

We have a variety of different code versions running on the nexus, but one strange example is two 5596UP's running the same code version (7.0.0.N1.1) one has collection failure, the other doesn't.

All devices successfully verify SSH and SNMP credentials (they're all using the same SNMP and SSH username/PW). The admin status of all devices (even those that are showing collection failure is 'managed').

We're running 3.1.4 (update 01) & device pack 6.

To resolve the issue I've tried:

- both SNMPv2 and SNMPv3

- different SSH credentials

- start/stop of the application

- removing and re-adding devices

Has anyone else come across this and resolved it?

8 Replies 8

scot
Level 4
Level 4

I have this same problem with ISR 4321/4331 routers.  Multiple collections are fine, but a few here and there come up as collection failure.  I have verified and tested everything you have and still no reason why.  Every time I verify credentials they verify successfully, and the logs are incredibly horrible to read, so I have no idea if there is something in the logs that will help.

I have an open TAC case running at the moment. Once they get back to me I'll let you know if there are any workarounds. 

I'm suspecting it may mean we need to wait for a new device pack or patch. 

I am still having the same problem and it is driving me crazy.  Have you heard anything Ben?  I even setup another snmp collector and gathered the information from the same routers using the same credentials and snmp communities and it works perfectly.  At this point I cant find anything else to modify to make Prime gather the information for these few routers.

Unfortunately not yet. I've escalated with our Cisco contact and my case has been forwarded to the Prime team who should hopefully get back to me in the next few days. 

Device pack 7 was just released, but it still didn't resolve the issue for me. Hopefully it may resolve your issue though. 

You're correct on the logs, I wasn't even sure which one to look through. The only log messages I could find that seemed a bit odd were these (I removed the IP from below):

SAM_COLLECTION_DEBUG: [583719_x.x.x.x does not belongs to Routers, Switches And Hubs Product Family]

I'll reply to this once I hear back from Cisco.

EDIT:

TAC engineer said patch 3.1.5 will be releasing in a few days. It should resolve the issue, if not, then there are some workarounds that they will take us through.

Device pack 7 did nothing for me, other than make my about Prime show one more device pack I had installed.  I keep checking for 3.1.5 as I also have a TAC case for 2802i AP's not showing heat maps properly, that the TAC says will fix my problem on those.

I hope 3.1.5 fixes all of this, because I am quickly losing confidence in this products ability to monitor and help maintain my network.

They said the temporary workaround is to replace the JAR files for each device type. Disadvantage is that if a start/stop of the application occurs then you need to replace the files again. Also, if you have a HA setup, if there is failover/failback the issue re-occurs. 

They said 3.1.5 would be released in a few days, but that was almost 2 weeks ago. I'll check with them on the expected release date and ask for a process to follow on replacing the JAR files. 

I find it interesting that we're at version 3.1.4 and something as basic as adding cisco devices to prime has issues. That should be part of the core functionality I would've thought. 

Yes you would think adding a device as a core functionality would work.  Just filed another case and they are generating a BugID for it that I thought would be core functionality as well but seems not.  If you delete a sub-interface from the configuration tab of a device it not only deletes the sub-interface, but it proceeds to completely default the configuration on the whole physical interface as well.

They are creating the bug for this issue now, which thought would have been tested prior to release since Prime is supposed to be able to push config without issues.

Have you heard anything more on 3.1.5 being released?  Did they ever give you a work around that fixed your issue?   I have another TAC case open now on config pushes through Infrastructure 3.1 removing incorrect interfaces.  I am going to ask about 3.1.5 today when I actually get back on the phone with them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco