cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Alarm Policies configured/applied in virtual domains?

beitland
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello experts,

I have a situation where my customer is hosting multiple tenants by means of virtual contexts. We recently upgraded our Prime Infrastructure to version 3.1 to enable us to apply alarm policies to filter down on both the number and type of events that were triggering alarm email notifications. We would like for each organization to customize or tailor their alarm filters within their respective virtual context, but whenever they attempt to modify the default alarm policies when they attempt to save and activate them, the following error is always displayed: (see attached: pi31_alarm_policies_virtual_context.pdf)

However, if i change context to the ROOT-DOMAIN and apply the very same alarm policies from that context, the policies activate and are saved successfully. (see attached: pi31_root-domain_alarm_policies_successful.pdfObviously, we would prefer for each organization to be able to administer their respective virtual contexts (and alarm policies) on their own without requiring outside assistance. I cant find anywhere in the documentation that states alarm policies can only be configured from the ROOT-DOMAIN, but have yet to get the policies applied from within a virtual context. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

TIA,

Brett

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1 versioning information is provided below:

CWALNMPRIRCCK01/admin# show version

Cisco Application Deployment Engine OS Release: 3.1

ADE-OS Build Version: 3.1.0.001

ADE-OS System Architecture: x86_64

Copyright (c) 2009-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

All rights reserved.

Hostname: CWALNMPRIRCCK01

Version information of installed applications

---------------------------------------------

Cisco Prime Infrastructure

Version : 3.1.0

Build : 3.1.0.0.132

Critical Fixes:

PI 3.1.1 ( 1.0.0 )

Device Support:

Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Device Pack 2 ( 2.0 )

CWALNMPRIRCCK01/admin#

1 Reply 1

ccube
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brett,

This is a bug. Virtual Domain support is not available for Alarm Policies. Seems that this is relegated to the root domain only.

CSCva86700    Should not be able to edit alarm policy in non Root Domain

<B>Symptom:</B>
If a user is in a Prime Infrastructure virtual domain other than "ROOT-DOMAIN" and tries to change the interface alarm policy and save it, an error "An error has been occurred while saving and activating the policy, please try again" is returned.  If the same steps are followed in the "ROOT-DOMAIN", it saves fine.

<B>Conditions:</B>
Unable to save new interface alarm policy in other than the Root Domain.

<B>Workaround:</B>
PI 3.1.4 now correctly makes non ROOT-DOMAIN read only

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: