Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 3.1 - bugs so far

Upgraded yesterday, apparently successfully. Applied the urgent patch and the new device pack, eventually completed around 10 pm. Don't expect the upgrade to be quick, folks.

Buggy stuff -

1. My custom monitoring policy (that avoids things like VLAN interface throughput) has been corrupted. When I try to edit it using device and interface selection, it doesn't save the changes. This was always clunky, but now useless.

2. Syslog - I'm advised to go to the new Syslog viewer for "a new experience"; yep, it is - there's no entries at all, live or historic. Fortunately, the old syslog monitor still works and displays both.

3. Network Topology map - no longer automatically adds links between devices after discovery. If I add a manual link, although the link is between 2 devices I sometimes only get to select an interface on one of them, If by chance it DOES allow me to select an interface on both ends of the link, the interface order is random rather than numeric or alphabetical order.

I'll add any others I come across as I go.

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just to add to this I have 3.1 running as well last month

main bug from inline upgrade all ASA devices went into partial collection3 mode in inventory 5510s 20 s and 40s and our vss devices  , had to manually enter the enable password in inventory-edit for each device to get them back working and fully synced in inventory

TAC says issues will be fixed in patch due around 10th of August 

I'm beginning to wonder about Cisco testing lately, there seems to be a lot of software coming out with problems.

from experience using ciscoworks , lms and now prime , prime has definitely come a long way from those platforms but still has a good bit to go.

Our first inline actually wiped the DB lucky enough we had VM snapshot of everything just before we started , TAC couldn't identify exactly what caused it so we just had to move on , that was probably the worst bit

I had the same issue, thank goodness for snapshots!

Even when it worked, it took hours to update and then patch. I agree it is getting better, but the experience is still dire. great when it works, an absolute dog to get it to work the way you want.

Yes, I started with CiscoWorks and LMS as well!

Yes exactly feel the same way , when its working especially with new features like compliance and eox its great but when it breaks it can take ages to fix and from really simple things cause huge problems

ASAs

nothing was missing per say from ASA its just PI cant read it properly through cdp to collect the info required to fully sync it

This the tech bit from debugging root in PI as it was trying to read the 5510s , by the way all other ASAs were fixed with the reading of enable password for each device in inventory effected but it didn't work for the 5510s , still working on these with TAC , there saying now fix will be in the patch probably to buy themselves time

[1] We checked & found ASA 5510 devices were staying in “Partial Collection Failure” mostly along-with few other platforms [2] In case of ASA 5510, we saw that inventory collection is failing because when we’re trying to get CDP inventory details from the ASA, we’re hitting below exceptions: ade # tail -n 1000 inventory.log | grep cdp 2016-08-01 03:39:29,100 [E ThreadPool 7] ERROR inventory - Exception executing function [cdp]cdp runId 6033461 in time 1500018 hook time 0  deviceId: 93527031; CredentialId: 93527031; ManagementIP: 172.17.22.3         at E_ENGINE.[cdp]cdp.xpa/getcdpCacheTable/getcdpCacheTable.par@Rule0/HandlerChain/Handler2(cdp.xpa/getcdpCacheTable/getcdpCacheTable.par)         at E_ENGINE.[cdp]cdp.xpa/getcdpCacheTable/getcdpCacheTable.par@Rule0(cdp.xpa/getcdpCacheTable/getcdpCacheTable.par)         at E_ENGINE.[cdp]cdp.xde@ggolla:140530111428165.script(cdp.xde)         at E_ENGINE.[cdp]cdp.xde@ggolla:140530111428165(cdp.xde) 2016-08-01 03:43:28,972 [ICE Service - Network 2] DEBUG inventory - Starting new task com.cisco.xmp.inventory.ice.collectortask.CollectorFeatureTask.EFeatureCallbackTask  deviceId: 93527031; CredentialId: 93527031; ManagementIP: 172.17.22.3:[cdp]cdp 2016-08-01 03:43:28,973 [ICE Service - Network 2] ERROR inventory - Feature = feature_cdp and Procedure = cdp.cdp with the following error and continuing with other features: com.cisco.nm.pal.client.PALException: [3] For other platforms we're seeing issue on one device out of many devices of same HW/SW which all are successfully managed in PI [4] We checked for few & found HW/SW version seems to be same as of others, therefore we might to check at the config level of the individual devices [5] To get this checked we would need to check them separately on different SR with the help of that specifically platform team

I'm seeing the same thing with the ASA, Mark.

Have you done a compare with a manually copied configuration to see what is missing?

I've finally discovered a browser that allows me to edit the monitoring policy without losing my changes - - are you ready for this... deep breath...  IE 11.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: