Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure

shameed
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends

we have ordered PRIME-NCS-APL-K9 (PI-APL-IMAGE-2.0) and R-L-PI2X-U-K9  (Upgrade from Cisco LMS to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.x)

I have doubt NCS is for wireless controller but how can we add LMS to this server ?

Also explain me step by step of migrate data from WCS also from LMS 4.2

Thanks and Regards,

Shahul 

13 Replies 13

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prime Infrastructure and Prime LMS cannot coexist on a single appliance. If you are using the Cisco appliance you can run either Prime Infrastructure or Prime LMS on it - but not both.

Migrating data from WCS, NCS or LMS to PI is explained in this Deployment Guide.

Dear Marvin

In this appliance we are going to run only Prime NCS. My doubt is in PRIME-NCS-APL-K9 appliance can we able run wireless and LAN.? Because when searched from Google it is showing only WCS part, I couldn't see LAN part. How can I run LAN part and migrate data which is downloaded from LMS 4.2

Note - You attached deployment guide is not open.

The appliance still has the old NCS name in it but the software application is Prime Infrastructure. It will have PI 2.0 (or perhaps 2.1) installed. PI 2.x includes both wired and wireless management features. 

The deployment guide can be seen on the Prime Infrastructure product information page under the whitepapers category. 

Dear Marvin

Thanks for your great support. But I am still confusing migrating data from LMS and WCS. Kindly describe the steps the of migration.

Shameed,

The process can be a bit involved depending on what version you are coming from and how much data you want to migrate.

I corrected the link in my original reply. Please try it again - it should not require any special login or account privilege:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/guide-c07-731626.html

It is found under the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/white-paper-listing.html

Dear Marvin

Today I configured the PRIME-NCS-APL-K9 appliance. But I was not able to access it. I opened TAC with Cisco. I have Prime 2.x DVD. How can I install PI on it ?

Shameed,

Have you followed the hardware installation guide and associated quick start guide?

Both can be found on the product support page here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/products-installation-guides-list.html

When you say you cannot access do you mean not via command line interface (ssh) or not via web interface (GUI)?

It helps when asking a question to be as specific as you can.

Marvin

I am not able to access both ssh and web.

Is it possible can we restrict access for wireless part and wired part?. Because we have two different team for wireless and wired.

If you're working with the TAC, follow their advice on your setup issues if the guides I mentioned have not helped.

For restricting user access you can setup virtual domains once you have a working installation. The Administrator Guide explains that concept and setup here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-1/administrator/guide/PIAdminBook/maint_user_access.html#pgfId-1056236

doug.moffat
Level 1
Level 1

I had this issue as well. I found it confusing as to the migration of LMS to Cisco Prime. We decided to do a clean implementation and not migrate from LMS to CPI as per the documentation. Our decision was to export the devices from the LMS DCR and import them into CPI. (With the understanding that we will loose historical data.)

I just finished a course on CPI and in the course they stated that LMS has not been migrated into the CPI bundle as of yet. The claim was that the LMS should only be upgraded to CPI (LMS) and not CPI 2.0.

Is this statement valid??

Regards,

Doug Moffat

Senior Operations Engineer

Sun Life Financial

There's no such product as CPI (LMS). There is Prime LMS and there is Prime Infrastructure (and over 20 other "Prime" products).

The "Prime" designation is an umbrella designation that indicates the product follows certain loose architectural guidelines and has a certain look and feel.

Between Prime LMS and Prime Infrastructure, one has limited options for migrating from the former to the later. For 75% or more of use cases, simply migrating the devices with associated credentials covers the need. That is very easy to do especially with the feature added to an LMS 4.2 release that has the template format used by PI built-in as an export option.

Until PI has full feature parity with LMS many customers are staying with LMS as it meets their business and operational needs.

Thanks for the response Marvin.  This does answer my question.

Appologies for the name.  We use the name "CPI (LMS)" internally.  I did mean Prime LMS.

You're welcome.

Please take a moment to rate helpful responses.