Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime LMS 4.2.2 Discovery appends domain name to device name

is-nw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi together,

my name is Dieter and that's my 1st post in this forum, so i hope i am right here.

The problem is that - although negotiated in global discovery settings - Prime appends domain name to the device name so that all switches (not routers) have "confusing names". The domain name is not required in device name. What can i do? Thanks for any help in advance.

Rgds. - Dieter

2 Replies 2

Karl Schuman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dieter,

Under global settings on your custom discovery,ou should select "Sysname" as Preferred DCR Device Name and uncheck "Use DNS Resolvable Hostname". Then select  "Update DCR Device Name" under DCR Administration Settings. Then rerun your discovery and it should give you the name without the domain. Here is a good link to more information. https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

You should also upgrade your LMS to 4.2.3 as I heard there is a bug in 4.2.2 that is a securtity issue. I don't have the bug ID but you can look that up probably.

I hope that helps, Karl

Dear Karl,

At first, thanks for your idea.

Upon your proposal i unchecked "DNS resolvable Host Name" under Preferred DCR Devide Name.

I started new discovery with "Sysname" as Preferred DCR Device Name and selected "Update DCR Device Name" in DCR Admin settings.

For Testing i deleted the domain extension in Device Names from some devices.

After rerun of discovery all devices have the domain in Device Names.

(We will do the update to 4.2.3 during the next days and the Cisco-Document you referred explains same config that you proposed)

Is there anything i can do else?

Best regards - Dieter