cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime VM server requirements

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

We are starting to plan our implementation of Prime and a discussion has started around the server requirements. In all the documentation I have read so far the minimum server requirements all state 4 virtual CPUs but the hardware group only wants to give me 2. We were also planning to use the medium OVA which lists 12GB ram but once again the hardware group only wants to give me 8.

An I going to have any performance issues? Will there be any OVA installation issues if I do not have at least the minimum requirements when we start to deploy?

Thanks...

Brent

3 Replies 3

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brent,

As you have already gone through the server requirements . the listed requirements are the one which is been tested by the development group.

So the mentioned requirements in the PREREQUISTS are the recommended requirement to installed LMS.

You might be able to install the LMS with that server configuration (OVA 8GB ram) but there will be performance issue.

Thanks

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I strongly recommend that you do not deploy on a Cisco Prime VM with less than the prerequisite resources. Prime (whether LMS or Infrastructure) is a processor- and memory-intensive application and system performance will suffer greatly when the host is underpowered.

A poorly performing network management system is a significant barrier to adoption as staff go to use it and find the response so poor that they avoid using it.

I know the ins and outs of cross-discipline resource wrangling but organizationally it never ceases to amaze me that we can spend tens of thousands of dollars on a management system and then have it suffer because we can't manage to allocate an additional $500 in RAM to it.

I've gone into several organizations with management systems they barely used because of the perception that they were "pieces of junk" - often stemming from either being on underpowered systems or never having been maintained after installation several years back. A bit of care and feeding can go a long way towards turning that around completely.

I second, third even, what was previously stated. I also want to add that the HDD requirements are quite low and we had to go through a process that TAC recommended to double the size of some directories because their recommended requirements were way too low.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: