Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on a particular "scenario"

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

I need to implement an QOS policy for the attached scenario.

Couple things to be mentioned:

All the connection to the router goes to a single Gigabit port; there s a trunk with the 3750 neighbor and on that port goes all the traffic in both directions.

interface GigabitEthernet3/1

description Management_class

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

ip accounting output-packets

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet3/1.101

description Our_company

encapsulation dot1Q 101

ip address BGP_subclass_A.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet3/1.102

description Clients_Internet

encapsulation dot1Q 102

ip address BGP_subclass_B.1 255.255.255.0

interface GigabitEthernet3/1.219

description ISP_1

encapsulation dot1Q 219

ip address ISP_1_IP 255.255.255.224

no ip redirects

!

interface GigabitEthernet3/1.401

description ISP_2

encapsulation dot1Q 401

ip address ISP_2_IP 255.255.255.252

no ip redirects

!

My goal is to prioritize the Internet for RED selected server, which is actually a Linux GW.

Please throw me some hints of how I could do this ? I was thinking to create an ACL to select the traffic which originates from my Linux GW and then use the class_traffic_ACL on a policy map to and apply a priority of 30;

My question is: where to apply the policy map? On the interface or on the sub_interface? Will it really work?

Or is it better to start marking the traffic of interest?

1 Reply 1

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Here's how I thought:

- mark the traffic from Linux GW with DSCP AF41 (to be mentioned that there's no other marked traffic)

- as I read the marking will not be altered if it runs on L2 trunks, so it will reach my 7609; there I ll create a class map for all the AF 41 traffic and then a policy map to prioritize the traffic.

Two questions:

- how is it better to do the prioritize ? (I remember you that I need this for all the traffic protocols coming from one single IP address) Simply to reserve some BW using bandwidth command or to use priority command?

- where should I apply the service policy ? On the subinterface or on the interface itself?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: