Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Cannot run name lookup" message

We are currently trying to installed LMS 4.0 on a VM Ware instance of Windows 2008r2, and getting the error "cannot run name lookup" message when launching the installation.  We are launching the Win2008 patch and it asks for the desination of the LMS application then spits out this message.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Kimberly

10 Replies 10

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

The server wants to be able to talk to itself using it name. The hostname.

A simple solution might be the hosts file on the server. You need 2 entries

localhost          127.0.0.1

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks for the reply...we are still getting the message.  The person doing the install (I am not at the install site) assures me the hostname is correctly configured. 

Anything else to check?

Not really

It is not about whether the hostname is correctly configured, its about whether the name is resolvable.

So if you open a dos box on the server and you type ping -a does it find the servername, and if you ping the name does it  find the IP.?

Cheers,

Michel

The example you cited the host file for Microsoft hostfile should be IP first and then hostname, however, your example shows hostname then IP.  Is this a requirement for LMS? 

Thanks!

No, I typed it the wrong way arround.

Sorry for any confusion

Michel

Thanks!  We are almost at our wit's end on this.  Neither one of us can figure out why that message is appearing upon installation. 

Indeed, all I can suggest is to do the install as the local administrator and consider taking the machine out of the domain until the install is done.

But I guess you have seen the document  regarding LMS installation: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9132

Cheers,

Michel

Just to follow up.  We think the problem was with the UAC of the server.  What a nightmare that was.

Andrew Meadors
Level 1
Level 1

Pix

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Andrew Meadors
Level 1
Level 1

Pix

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco