Helpful
Replies

Rate-limit a large number of IP addresses

Anar Boldbaatar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have ESR10008 router.

We have 4 /24s which we need to apply rate limiting for each IP addresses to UPLink interface.

No limiting will be applied to other interfaces.

Creating and managing a huge number of ACL would be difficult and it is not possible to set more than 64 class per service-policy.

Can anyone suggest what we could do to achieve such setup?

Please, advise and thank you!

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't understand the problem.  I have already shown how you can use RADIUS to push per user per session rate-limits.  Sample attributes below.

lcp:interface-config=rate-limit input qos-group 1 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

lcp:interface-config=rate-limit output qos-group 1 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Every connection from a user in, even if they land on the same Virtual-Template, will create unique Virtual-Access(x) interfaces.

Lets say there is a user1, and they buy two services from you.  It is easier if you give them unique user names for each service, but you can tell the RADIUS server to also match on the service type and return different rate limits based on that.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do by chance the users use Virtual-Template / Virtual-Access interfaces (aka PPPoE, PPPoA, ...)?

Put the rate limit on the Virtual-Template interface with no access-list.

Hello,

Actually yes! Users do use Virtual-Template, but then shouldn't the rate-limit every IP address to one limit? I am trying to put rate limiting on the UPLink interface for each individual IP address. So, every single IP address would have their own rate limiting.

If, not then I will definitely give this method a try!

When a user "connects" the Virtual-Template is copied to a Virtual-Access interface.  There is a 1:1 mapping between users and Virtual-Access interfaces.  So each user will be individually limited using this approach.

Note that Virtual-Access interfaces can be pre-cloned for performance (like caching) so when testing it make sure you are getting a new Virtual-Access interface, or remove the pre-cloned ones for inactive users.

If you want to get super-tricky, you can create more than one Virtual-Template with different rate-limits, and make sure users on different plans get appropriately mapped, to provide different service levels (aka, users who pay more can get more).

Another "old" approach is to use pools, silver, gold,  platinum.  You can put a QoS DSCP marker on the users traffic (perhaps at the Virtual-Access level - I have also seen ISPs user specific pools of IP address to separate users, which means you can vary the routing as well based on the user pool).

Then on the upstream link you can then guarantee a minimum bandwidth level for each pool.  So the platinum pool might be guaranteed a minimum of 50% of the upstream, gold 25%, and silver gets what left.

QoS only kicks in when a link is congested, so what the customer is paying for here is how badly their link will degrade when you are under 100% load.

Thanks it does rate-limit individually. I must ask:

1. Does it apply to only one interface?

This is the current configuration

interface Virtual-Template1

mtu 1492

ip unnumbered GigabitEthernet0/1

rate-limit input 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

2. What if I want to apply different rate limiting to two different computer?

How can I assign which Virtual-Template can go with the desired user?

Hello,

Here is a depiction of what I would like to achieve. I have ESR10008 and 7206VXR.

I could use any of these two which can support the function according to the topology

The user sessions terminate on the ESR, correct?

What device does the Global Internet terminate on?  The ESR or something else?

I have the following connection

User  -> GE3/0/0 - ESR10008 - GE1/0/0.101-> Global internet

|

Radius Server

GE1/0/0.101 is using BGP to connect to global internet

This bit is important.  On GE1/0/0.101 to the global internet do you learn a default route (or a full routing table) via BGP - or do you use a simple static default route?

Have nothing fancy just this:

ip route XXX.XXX.48.0 255.255.248.0 Null0

Router BGP

neighbor XXX.XXX.XXX.185 remote-as XX204

Excellent, this makes things much easier!

Basically follow this guide.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=169556&seqNum=5

First lets mark the route(s) from your upstream (aka Internet) that you want speed limited with a qos-group.  Something like:

router BGP xxx

neighbor XXX.XXX.XXX.185 remote-as XX204

neighbor XXX.XXX.XXX.185 route-map internet-in in

route-map internet-in permit 10
  set ip qos-group 1

This will simply make every route from the global Internet upstream belong to qos-group 1.  Being a route map you can make this as complicated as you like for route marking.

Do a soft reset of the peer.  If you display the default route we should see it now belongs to a QoS group.  This has no impact on anything at the moment, because nothing is using the QoS groups.  I'm guessing it will look something like:

#show ip route 0.0.0.0
Routing entry for 0.0.0.0/0
Known via "bgp xx", distance xx, metric 0, qos-group 1, type external

Make sure the routing table displays this, as everything depends on it.

Now on the virtual-template we'll do something like:

interface Virtual-Template1

rate-limit input qos-group 1 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output qos-group 1 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

bgp-policy source ip-qos-map
   bgp-policy destination ip-qos-map

So this causes any traffic coming in from or going out to a route belong to qos-group 1 to be rate-limited.  All other traffic will pass at full speed.

You can of course apply more qos-groups to other peers and create more rate-limits to control the share of each pipe that users have.

pps. If you think I have substantially answered your question it would be great if you could give it a rating and mark it as correct.  :-)

This is gold!

I just have one issue with it. It would have been perfect if we used the same rate-limit for every single customer, but there will be users with several different services connected to one virtual-template.

I don't understand the problem.  I have already shown how you can use RADIUS to push per user per session rate-limits.  Sample attributes below.

lcp:interface-config=rate-limit input qos-group 1 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

lcp:interface-config=rate-limit output qos-group 1 496000 64500 64500 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Every connection from a user in, even if they land on the same Virtual-Template, will create unique Virtual-Access(x) interfaces.

Lets say there is a user1, and they buy two services from you.  It is easier if you give them unique user names for each service, but you can tell the RADIUS server to also match on the service type and return different rate limits based on that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco