Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate Limit per port in my Cisco Switch 2960

jaycer_cerbo
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I just want to ask if it's possible to divide my internet speed (5mbps.) per department? 

Could I also try it in Packet Tracer? Please I need your help guys ASAP. Show your configuration too.

Rate limit

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

To the Internet, from the Internet or both?

Did you want to set an absolute maxium, per dept., or did you want to allow unused bandwidth to be utilized?

What model 2960 and what IOS verison [edit] and feature set?

BTW, you don't want to "trust" packet-tracer as it often doesn't have all device featues and for those it has they don't always work correctly.

Thank you for the reply

I want to give 1mbps to Sales and Accounting dept. because they download massively and give priority to the IT dept. (3mbps)

I'm using Cisco WS-C2960-24TT (RC32300) Version 12.2

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Assuming the 2960 supports ingress policing, you can try to control download ingress bandwidth.  The reason I write try, ingress policing is downstream so it doesn't always fully control link bandwidth utilization, although rate adaptive traffic (e.g. TCP), seeing policed drops, should slow itself.

Is there any way to try this first? I need to test it first before implementing/deploying it. 

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Can you test it first?  Sure you can.  Do you have a lab with similar equipment and TCP traffic generators that can mimic your production environment?  (If you're wondering about using Packet Tracer, I don't know enough about it.)

The company that I'm consulting needs to test it first before buying the whole package of equipment. They want me to show them how it on Packet Tracer. Damn this is so hard and frustrating.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

PT is an educational simulator, it's not accurate enough to truly demonstrate how Cisco equipment operates.

Depending on your relationship with Cisco, you might be able to acquire either some demo equipment, to test yourself, or have they demonstrate suitability in one of their labs.

Can I do that? Can I request some demo to test dividing our Internet Speed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: