cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendations for creating VLAN for WIFI traffic

pendal8286
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all and thanks for your time and expertise.  In the past where I work when they setup a building with new APs they would create VLANs for the AP and the WIFI traffic.  They would assign a separate native VLAN for the APs and allow the AP and WIFI VLANs for the APs as well.  

For the WIFI traffic they would also allow the AP and WIFI VLANs.  And the IP Helper would be added to both VLANs.

What I'm noticing in DHCP is that the scope for the APs also includes devices like phones, laptops, etc instead of just exclusively APs.  

Is there something that has to be done, or should be done, so the scope for the APs only assigns IP Addresses to the APs.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your recommendations and input.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Depends on the current setup , if all autonomous AP's are used, then a DCHP server can contain all addresses , including those of the AP's and clients ; but if you have lot's of AP's this architecture won't scale (indeed).  Better is then to have a centralized (controller) based setup where the AP's become managed by a wireless controller. Traffic from  the clients is then tunneled to and from the controller (CAWAP), who also terminates the VLAN's. -> Intermediate architectures are also possible.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Depends on the current setup , if all autonomous AP's are used, then a DCHP server can contain all addresses , including those of the AP's and clients ; but if you have lot's of AP's this architecture won't scale (indeed).  Better is then to have a centralized (controller) based setup where the AP's become managed by a wireless controller. Traffic from  the clients is then tunneled to and from the controller (CAWAP), who also terminates the VLAN's. -> Intermediate architectures are also possible.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card