cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering 6509E with Sup2T board boot image not accessible

Eric R. Jones
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, I have a 6509-E with a Sup2 T board.

The IOS image is on the bootdisk: however it is not booting.

I also have a CF card with a newer IOS on there.

The system boots up into rommon> and won't find the image on bootdisk:

The system boots up into rommon> when I specifically use boot disk0:/"name of image".

Is there a way to install another sup2T and copy over the boot image from one to the other or direct the failing supervisor to boot off the other?

When I installed the other one and checked for modules it doesn't recognize that module. I figured I could configure the Mgt port for TFTP but that didn't work either. You also can't configure the Mgt port from rommon.

ej

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Autoboot executing command: "boot bootdisk:"

This is the boot variable statement and, when translated in lay-man's term, means "boot the FIRST boot-able file" found in the bootdisk:.

bootdisk:%s72044-atafslib-m: Digitally Signed Release Software with key version A

The above filename is designed for Sup720 and this file is the FIRST file found.  Because of the boot variable statement, the Sup2T attempts to read this file and then gives up when it couldn't.

The correct boot variable statement should be:  boot system flash disk0:s2t54-ipbasek9-mz.SPA.151-1.SY3.bin

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The system boots up into rommon> and won't find the image on bootdisk:

Maybe the config-registry value is incorrect.  At ROMmon mode, enter the command "confreg 0x2102" followed by "reset". 

First, I did get the system up and running by finally using the brain in my head and not the one in my behind.

I formatted the CF card on the other 6500, copied the image over and booted off of that to get the other unit up. Although it's up I haven't been able to get the switch to boot off of the bootdisk: location but only off of the CF card. I got the boot var configured but it's still not having any of it.

The registry is set to 0x2102 according to the output of the "set" command.

ej

Post the entire boot-up process.

I tried the confreg 0x2102 but that failed.

Here is the boot process attached.

I can boot disk0: but not boot bootdisk: nor does a reload command boot from the default bootdisk:. I'm new to the 6509-E system although boot system "location":"image" appears to work the same I'm failing to get the pointers aligned so the system can boot by default.

ej

Autoboot executing command: "boot bootdisk:"

This is the boot variable statement and, when translated in lay-man's term, means "boot the FIRST boot-able file" found in the bootdisk:.

bootdisk:%s72044-atafslib-m: Digitally Signed Release Software with key version A

The above filename is designed for Sup720 and this file is the FIRST file found.  Because of the boot variable statement, the Sup2T attempts to read this file and then gives up when it couldn't.

The correct boot variable statement should be:  boot system flash disk0:s2t54-ipbasek9-mz.SPA.151-1.SY3.bin

So since I need to boot off of the "bootdisk:" location on the Sup2T board it should read "boot system flash bootdisk:"image name" "

ej

Well I got it to work, my biggest problem was attempting to use the image I had planned to upgrade to rather than the one the system defaulted to. Once I realized that the changes worked and now the system is booting off of the Sup2T. We are trying to find the correct tftp command to upgrade the server to the next version.

Thanks for the assist, it helped me focus where to find my mistakes.

ej

Glad to see everything works, Eric.  :)