cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registering Cisco devices in DNS

ermedic
Level 1
Level 1

We have a ton of Cisco devices. Each with several interfaces. When troubleshooting, if you do a trace route, you see that none of the IPs will resolve to the router's name. This makes following the trace route difficult. Other than entering each interface IP in to DNS with the routers hostname, how else can I do this? I know that if it has to be done by hand, I won't be able to rely on the engineers to add it in to DNS everytime they add a new interface to a router.

2 Replies 2

georg.tresselt
Level 1
Level 1

Win2k PCs register with their DNS server via dynamic DNS. Don't know if Cisco devices support that. Don't think so.

So, I guess you need some sort of network management software. If you have CW LMS, you might try to right a script to extract the data from the depository of backed up configs. Some other tools like HP OpenView may have CLI commands like ovtopodump which you could use.

mfreeman451
Level 1
Level 1

Just to add a little bit to what the other person suggested, if you have an NMS system discovering your new devices for you, you could extract that information and script it to add your stuff to DNS for you, otherwise unless maybe you're using DHCP for your routers to obtain IP addresses, god help us all, you could easily setup DynDNS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: