Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove a VTP Domain

Currently our organization has a VTP domain setup at several location. My personal preference (and goal) is to remove the VTP domain if possible. If I where to go to each switch and set the VTP mode to transparent or off what possible adverse effects will I experience? Will either of these settings cause the VLANs on these switches to be deleted?

Any thoughts are appreciated! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So technically if you switch a vtp client to transparent you should not have any issues.  As long as you do not make any changes to your trunk links you should be fine.  Also, your vlans will remain on your device in the vlan db.  However, in a production environment I would schedule an outage just to cover yourself.  HTH!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So technically if you switch a vtp client to transparent you should not have any issues.  As long as you do not make any changes to your trunk links you should be fine.  Also, your vlans will remain on your device in the vlan db.  However, in a production environment I would schedule an outage just to cover yourself.  HTH!

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @brandonbittinger,

In the first instance, if in your organization they occupy VTP to propagate the VLANs, disabling this protocol will cause the domain switches to stop learning them.
Therefore, you should make sure that the vlan are created in each switch, taking into account that if you use SVI, they will not be up if the associated vlan does not exist.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: