cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RICS0001 & Switches changing type by themselves - Cisco Prime 4.1

Ben Sanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Ok I have two problems I was hoping to get help with.

The first problem is all of my 2960 switches, whenever I tried to collect inventory on them I get the "

RICS0001:Internal Error,unable to process the collected data from the device." message. I have tried deleting them and then readding them and get the same result.

I am using Cisco Prime LAN Management 4.1.

Also I have another weird problem that might be the issue. When I put in the switches orginially I put them all in as "Cisco Catalyst 2960 stack" when in fact I should have put them in as the model. I have changed a few of the switches to the correct model only to see them revert back to "Cisco Catalyst 2960 stack" after a few minutes. I have removed and readded those switches only for those to do the same thing.

Is there a setting that I have that is causing this issue?

Thanks for the help.

9 Replies 9

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If they are standalone 2960's and not in stack you have to configure them with the following command :

no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid

2960's by default send the sysObjectID of stack, due to which LMS or other NMS software who uses sysObjectID to identify device platform often finds it incorrectly.

Once this command is configured, it will send the sysObjectID output of indivdual 2960 device, which should make it work for LMS.

Please delete one of your 2960 from LMS, configure with this comamnd and try re-adding it to LMS and see if inventory works.

Please note, this command requires a reboot of device.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thanks for the response Vinod.

The command worked and stopped the switches from changing themselves back to "2960 Stacked" but I still get the "

RICS0001:Internal Error,unable to process the collected data from the device." message when I try and do a inventory.

I also did a check on Software Distribution and I get "Failure" under the Image Options and Storage Options boxs.

Thanks again for your help.

If still you see the devices failing following is what you need to check :

> Credentials are configured correctly in LMS.

> Device package is installed for the 2960

After checking both, if are fine, please share following:

> Screenshot of the failure, showing reason of inv failure.

> enable debug for ICServer from Config and Inventory management and try to run the job again and share IC_Server.log from (NMSROOT/log in windows or /var/adm/CSCOpx/log in unix/linux).

-Thanks

Vinod

**Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hello ben,

Please try to upgrade the device packages and re-try the device. Also, please increase the snmp timeout to help Invenotry process.

For this, goto -> Admin > CollectionSettings > Inventory > Edit the Inventory/Config Timeout and Retry Settings. Please

try this and let me know if that helps.

Increase the SNMPTimeout to 30 and retries to 4.

-Thanks

Vinod

Vinod,

Thanks so much for your help, it is working now, when I first did the changes you suggested with the timeouts, it did not work, but I went ahead and restarted the server and now it is working like it should, makes no sense.

Thanks again for the help.

Glad to know it worked!

Ciscoworks will often stun you with surprises, you usually wont expect!

Please close this thread by marking it resolved!

-Thanks

Vinod

Does this command no snmp-server sysobject type stack-oid applicable to other device platform as well? I am facing the same issue on 2960s and 3750's as well.

What is the other option to fix this, if I dont want to configure this command, as it requires a reboot?

Thanks for your help!

Joe

Yes this is on those devices which has stacking capability, but also can be used without stacking. Their device identity is separate when in stack mode and when standalone.

For NMS server to manage them in standalone mode, it requires this command to be configured, so the communication can happen with correctly.

Moreover you can manually update the device identity from LMS using add/edit device option under invenotry.

After you change it manually to correct device type, under scheduled discovery settings, on last options page, please uncheck update DCR devices option, it will restrict auto update to previous device type.

-Thanks

Vinod

Thank you for your help! I will try and let you know!

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: