Views
Helpful
Replies

Router and Switch Powercut

lepatissier2021
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I'm fairly new to this and trying to find a solution for possibly something complex, and this is where I would require an expert opinion, please.

Following Szenario:

1 Router ISP connected towards a (my) Home Router Cisco, connected to 2 Switches ! (Int Gi0/1 and Int Gi0/2 for example)

At times, i receive a notification there was a Time out from my IP Monitor. So, i knew i lost connectivity from ISP Router to Home Router. 

What i would like to find out AFTER, if it was a Power Cut or just the Link went down.

Lets say, are the clocks (Router and Switch) still in  synch? If only the link goes down, and i would log on later after onto the Switch, which variable could i compare with the Router to see a difference. When the the power goes down, which variable RESETS on BOTH devices to say with fair confidence, ok, here we lost power, not just the link. Which other (IF there are any) variable could i check if they are still in synch (or not)?

Thank you already in advance

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you Lost the Power and device reset, you can not see any Logs, all the Logs will be Lost.

If you Logging any Syslog external then you can Look at the Logs and understand what is wrong?

If the device IP and running you lost the connection to ISP, you can use  EEM script to monitor and Log when the Ping Lost to the Internet.

is this make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB, 

thank you. that makes sense, thank you. i'll try that on packet tracer to see much info i get out of it. but packet tracer is a bit limited for things like that. in the end, its only a simulation.

How about on the Switch. For example, the Mac Address Table. is there a magic command to see maybe the age of the Mac Address Table? I couldn't find anything in Packet Tracer. I can set the timer itself (300) but nothing more. SO i could see, the i lost the link recently but the Mac Address Table is OLDER then i would also know, ok, the Switch didn't go down (power cut), since Mac Table is still in "memory" ?! Or is there a way to see whats going on in the RAM ? The RAM "contents" should be fairly fresh when it just rebooted, or ? sh processes doesnt help (ME) much. Or maybe i'm unable to understand it. 

what do you think ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: