cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 to RV345P site to site VPN? Should it work?

bruce C
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to trying to setup a VPN, which sounds fairly simple but i can not get a connection between my two routers. One is a RV325 the other is a RV345P. Both units use dynamic ip addresses and i was assuming I could use  Dynamic DNS services to provide a FQDN for each remote address.

I have tried and verified my information numerous times but can not get a connection.

The subnets should not conflict as one is 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.252.0 (covers 192.168.0.1-192.168.2.255) while the other is 192.168.10.0 / 255.255.255.0. I have verified the shared key numerous times. But i am not having any success. The status just reads down.

Should these two routers be able to connect using  VPN? Pointers to an example would be great if one exists.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Long as both WAN IP able to be reachable with any form, then VPN can build the below guide to help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb5513-configure-a-site-to-site-virtual-private-network-vpn-connect.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

If you are asking to verify that the connection between the two systems is possible, I do use a VNC connection between Various PC's on both networks.Thanks to both of the responders for the information, I have read the RV345 instructions but had not reviewed the RV325 instructions. I think I will start from scratch and try again this weekend.

My provider does not normally issue new IP addresses even though I am technically on a dynamic ip plan, so I think I will start by using the IP addresses as opposed to a FQDN and see if I can get it working, then try switching to the DDNS name.

Should I need to verify any specific ports are not  forwarded in error on the devices?

Once again, thanks for the suggestions / information.

In my experience site to site vpn where both devices are using dynamic addressing does not work. If you try it with at least one device specifying the IP address of the peer then I expect it will work. Considerations with using this approach include:

- if one peer is dynamic and the other peer specifies the peer address then the request to establish the vpn connection must originate from the peer that is dynamic. For example if RV325 specifies the peer address of the RV345P then the request to bring up the vpn must originate from RV325. If RV345P does not specify the RV325 using an IP address then the RV345P can not initiate the vpn.

- if you set it up this way and the address of the peer should change then the vpn will no longer work.

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card